Railroad Forums 

• P&W Stone Trains

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1216120  by fl9m2004

I know for a while they did but it was light power
From Long Island to Cedar Hill
But don't see it anymore on weekends
I used to see between 11:45-2:30 head eastbound but that was in 2006-2009
 #1216954  by DogBert

I've only seen one Saturday morning run this year. With traffic up it they're sticking to the schedule closely. Light engine moves were a bit more common when they weren't hauling all the cars they've been hauling these last 2 years.

I was always a little amazed by the morning return trips. The crew would get the limit of downtime before heading right back out.
 #1217026  by freightguy

Is the stone moving towards LI and NYC area now P&W single largest costumer in terms of revenue and volume? Does Tilcon ship out the most as P&W number one costumer? I know the stone goes to several cosignees, but does the stone heading towards the LI generate the most volume for the railroad?
 #1217058  by NHAirLine

Depends on how you count it. If by mile-ton it probably is. Heck, it's probably Connecticut's biggest export by a long shot, if you just count tons. I find it funny that a big business is selling Long Island rock.
 #1217210  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NHAirLine wrote:Also, how much of Branford's rock is shipped out via truck versus P&W versus barged?
Branford ships a lot more out by barge. The quarry figures are available because Tilcon owns the Branford Steam shortline that serves the Branford quarries and takes all loads to the barge and to the P&W interchange on its own shortline track. Per the CT state rail plan, p. 83, they did 1.3 million tons by rail in 2010. Big caveat: quarry loads are directly tied to strength of the construction economy, so it fluctates a lot...was 2.5M tons in '05 pre-Recession, bottomed out for the 2010 snapshot, probably rebounded considerably by now.

P&W is their only interchange*, and from their numbers (which include all of CT including the mainline) their yearly tonnage doesn't even come close to BSRR's in a good economy, and only somewhat more than BSRR's in a lousy economy. Which is a little misleading because tonnage ≠ carloads and a crushed stone carload is going to dwarf the avg. weight of "generic carload of any-goods", but shows that their barge traffic is way higher. How much so...you'd have to find other sources quantifying tonnage of everything else P&W ships in-state to isolate what % of BSRR's loads go to the Stone Train instead of the barge.

(*BSRR also interchanges directly with Amtrak as their primary east coast supplier of ROW ballast, but even in a heavy-construction year for them the amount of stone that gets loaded on an Amtrak work train is almost untraceably small in BSRR's overall numbers.)
 #1221949  by fl9m2004

The eastbound would be there meaning Mamorneck by 7:30
I usually see it head east through Noroton Heights station around 8
Right after 178 or a late running 94 or 148?
 #1221952  by fl9m2004

Does it still head westbound around 11?
Any idea when the last CT2 will head up and back down the Danbury branch
I usually hear it after 1890 clears former block limit glove or wilt
 #1243959  by fl9m2004

Saw it today meaning FPCH head eastbound with 4 engines sounded like all 4 running heading eastbound cleared Norwalk at 2:50pm looked like 45-50 cars lost count after 20
 #1283730  by MNR's #1 Conductor

CHFP comes down to Fresh Pond from Cedar Hill (New Haven) late night Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays with loads.

FPCH heads up from Fresh Pond to Cedar Hill between 6 and 9 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. They often get held up at Pelham Bay Interlocking for long waits until Amtrak Section A and Metro-North's New Haven Line RTC District E can handle them without delaying and disrupting passenger traffic.
 #1284189  by fl9m2004

If u get to Norwalk around 11:00 pm it will be heading west meaning chfp as soon as 1590 cleared the interlocking he came through
 #1284601  by DogBert

fl9m2004 wrote:How often would the same power that brings fpch return on chfp
Every time.