Railroad Forums 

• P&W Stone Trains

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1182950  by csx8851

I dont think there is a topic for this so might as well create one, anyone here can report sightings of the P&W stone trains (CHFP and FPCH).......
 #1182962  by fl9m2004

How often do these 2 trains operate between New York and New Haven Connecticut
Also I hear and sometimes will see Providence and Worcester CT2
 #1183375  by csx8851

Well this is my knowledge according to all the info I could aquire online:
CHFP: comes to fresh pond arround midnight with loads (mainly mondays)
FPCH: leaves fresh pond between 5-7pm with empties (mainly fridays)

This is all I know, if anyone knows more, feel free to share.
 #1183526  by fl9m2004

I remember once and its been a while
But I did see the power run through Stamford from FPCH
Headed eastbound toward Cedar Hill yard
 #1196515  by fl9m2004

Saw the southbound tonight 4 engines 9014 rear one
With at least 30-35 cars that I counted and about another 10-20 to go
It was around 11:15p.m. track 1 through Rowayton
I know it wasn't CT2 because he turns north of Cp240-241
 #1208872  by fl9m2004

What's the shortest CT2 anybody has seen
Last night/ this morning it was 24 cars with 3903-2009-4001 and a cab less unit all 4 running with crew on 4001 with head light on while trailing
 #1209181  by rscott417

I think this is relevant to this thread, not a P&W follower but saw them crossing over the BQE in Queens friday (23rd) around 6:20 pm 3 P&W scheme engines and 3 (I think) GATX blue engines. Caught me by surprise as i was merging so no #'s but a very long mix of open hoppers. as for when do they operate, I work in the bronx on E Tremont and whenever I work a friday 3-11 it is guaranteed the plant will start shaking around 7 and the engineer i work with gets hesitant and i have to tell them its just the freight train across the street, so every friday evening it comes through the bronx
 #1209214  by fl9m2004

I guess Providence and Worcester do a good job maintaing these engines
As far as I know there is 9014-9056-9012? just a guess on 2nd-3rd blue engines numbers
But did see 9014 really nice horn on that one
Others are from 3903-4006 but 4005-4006 can't come south of New Haven
Too tall for catenary wires
Rest can fit perfectly well
 #1209947  by csx8851

rscott417 wrote:I think this is relevant to this thread, not a P&W follower but saw them crossing over the BQE in Queens friday (23rd) around 6:20 pm 3 P&W scheme engines and 3 (I think) GATX blue engines. Caught me by surprise as i was merging so no #'s but a very long mix of open hoppers. as for when do they operate, I work in the bronx on E Tremont and whenever I work a friday 3-11 it is guaranteed the plant will start shaking around 7 and the engineer i work with gets hesitant and i have to tell them its just the freight train across the street, so every friday evening it comes through the bronx
Thats FPCH you are referring to, no need to be surprised though, that train runs on fridays, mondays, and wednesdays around 6-7pm northbound.
 #1214003  by DogBert

Does anyone know why they occasionally leave one of the locomotives on the rear of FPCH (heading back to new haven)? This only happens on occasion (twice in the last week though) - I'm assuming it is to aid in switching when they get back to CT?

I'm pretty sure the loaded CHFP train never runs with a loco on the rear, which would eliminate the possibility that they simply didn't have an EOT to use (which is the only other reason i can think of to place a loco back there.

It's always running, but not doing any pushing.
 #1214323  by v8interceptor

DogBert wrote:Does anyone know why they occasionally leave one of the locomotives on the rear of FPCH (heading back to new haven)? This only happens on occasion (twice in the last week though) - I'm assuming it is to aid in switching when they get back to CT?

I'm pretty sure the loaded CHFP train never runs with a loco on the rear, which would eliminate the possibility that they simply didn't have an EOT to use (which is the only other reason i can think of to place a loco back there.

It's always running, but not doing any pushing.
If you are seeing the train operating on the NEC then FRA regulatiions require that there be an Automatic Train Stop equipped locomotive on each end. However in my area (East Providence, RI) P&W almost always runs a unit on both ends of a train even on branches that don't require any NEC running. this is to make switching easier, as you surmise...
 #1215897  by csx8851

No, not on Saturday morning, only on Saturday evenong and thats ONLY if theres a change in the schedule. I've always wanted to catch a daylight run during the mornings but thats too rare.