Railroad Forums 

• P&W Stone Trains

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1284609  by fl9m2004

So lets say fpch leaves the hell gate interlocking by 9 when would it get to East Norwalk heading eastbound
And would it meet ct2 heading westbound around same time
 #1288626  by fl9m2004

Saw FPCH head eastbound this evening at Bridgeport 2 engines 9059-9014 96 cars
He should be clear of New Haven and almost into cedar hill yard
 #1294694  by rscott417

Stone train rolled passed my job around 8/8:15 tonight, didn't catch the motive power.
 #1294947  by fl9m2004

It must have been fpch that u heard or saw
Because ct2 comes up Danbury between trains 1899 and 1894
Heard and seen it 14 times this year
 #1324312  by csx8851

I guess stone season has begun. Feel free to leave your comments about sightings here. If anyone here can go out on a limb and report on CHFP sightings, it would help me catch the return train.
 #1324412  by DutchRailnut

stone season starts when towns start blacktopping, not any sooner.
 #1324469  by DutchRailnut

patch jobs do not require lots of blacktop and small amounts of stone get here by 18 wheeler.
 #1324981  by bwparker1

csx8851 wrote:I guess stone season has begun. Feel free to leave your comments about sightings here. If anyone here can go out on a limb and report on CHFP sightings, it would help me catch the return train.
The P&WRR Yahoo groups are your best bet for getting up to date information on the stone trains. Let me know if you need the links to them.
 #1417670  by AlKaLI

Bumping an old topic but still active.

Does anyone know about how many cars of aggregate were delivered to the NY&A (CHFP - FPCH) for 2016?
Before the P&W merged, they mentioned this number on their annual letter from the president. I think 2015 was ~5000 cars.
Is this about right? Also, does P&W also now deliver covered hoppers of cement?

Replies are most welcome.
AlKaLI
 #1417674  by SemperFidelis

About the cement, I would doubt it, my old friend Eli (of whom I haven't thought in many years until this thread...so thank you!) and a few others have the cement racket pretty well tied up with the material being barged into the old Brooklyn Navy Yard. Hard for rail to beat the quantity and pricing allowed by water transport.

That isn't to say they don't haul in any by rail. I would just be surprised.
 #1418189  by freightguy

Bumping an old topic but still active.

Does anyone know about how many cars of aggregate were delivered to the NY&A (CHFP - FPCH) for 2016?
Before the P&W merged, they mentioned this number on their annual letter from the president. I think 2015 was ~5000 cars.
Is this about right? Also, does P&W also now deliver covered hoppers of cement?

Replies are most welcome.
AlKaLI

I think the tally was around 8800 cars, however more volume with a lot of cars being 286k. Stone has also begun shipping from CP Rail again to the Brookhaven Rail Terminal.

I think the covered hoppers which go to Maspeth are sand not cement.