Railroad Forums 

• North Dakota Bakken Crude Oil

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1496726  by JayBee

The upcoming imposition by the IMO(International Maritime Organization) of a limit of 0.5% sulfur on Marine fuels will have a negative impact on crude oil from Venezuela, and a lesser impact on other Oil Producing countries. Not many non-US refineries are capable of turning high-sulfur Crude Oil(Sour) into ULSD(Ultr-low Sulfur Diesel), and even for the ones that can process it you still need to dispose of the high-sulfur residue. For the US refineries this is expected to be into more and cheaper Asphalt, leading to the displacement of concrete for the building and renewal of highways.
 #1535132  by Gilbert B Norman

NBC Chicago news aired an "encouraging" report regarding a derailment yesterday on CSX at East Chicago, IN:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigatio ... l/2227787/

As noted within the report, the Bakken Crude was being handled in newly built DOT-117 cars. There was no spillage of the crude nor fire - and no injuries!

Maybe railroads can now "get back in the game".
 #1535150  by gokeefe

Further evidence that tank car specifications (and not the crude itself) were the problem all along.

I agree with you Mr. Norman that the lower impact of this incident is significant to potential gains in market share for rail mode.
 #1535190  by Gilbert B Norman

Since, I posted this report, video of the segment has been added - possibly worth a revisit from those who read the material.

While I must wonder if these newer DOT-117 cars could have avoided Megantic, I trust that the seven Class I's are not operating in as reckless a manner as was the MMA-Q. I realize that a "sales pitch" of "let me show you the wreck we just had" is not the greatest, but if in fact the new cars saved the day (and not simply because a TV News reporter and a Chessie "spinfraumeister" say so), railroad Marketing should be shouting that from the rooftops - well, at least to the shippers and legislators.