Railroad Forums 

• proposed steel and aluminum tariffs

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1463814  by rr503

NRGeep wrote:Effect on freight business?
The tariffs themselves shouldn't have too much of an effect. The brewing trade war, however, could lead to the death of export food, export coal, export minerals, export timber, export autos (and all their import inverses) and international intermodal traffic. So probably not good.
 #1464027  by MCL1981

rr503 wrote:
NRGeep wrote:Effect on freight business?
The tariffs themselves shouldn't have too much of an effect. The brewing trade war, however, could lead to the death of export food, export coal, export minerals, export timber, export autos (and all their import inverses) and international intermodal traffic. So probably not good.
Logically, there would be some increases in domestic product transportation that was formerly imported. Enough to offset all of it plus lost exports? I'm guessing not.