Railroad Forums 

• What's going by you today?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1463074  by D Alex

Today, I had a little time to kill, so I spent about 2 hours (in 2 different periods) just watching what went past on the CSX water level route through western New York. Here's what I saw:
1 consist of only trash cars, heading west, full.
1 consist of oil tankers, heading west, looked and sounded empty.
1 consist of car-carriers headed west, looked like most of them were full, but not all.
1 consist of reefer cars headed east, most likely headed to Hunt's point, likely full.
1 consist of double-stacked containers and piggy-back trailers (about 50%-50%) headed west.
Not one single mixed freight or boxcar train. If I'd waited, at least 1 Amtrak should've gone by, but they must've been running late today, like any other day..

I wonder what goes by others on other mainlines today?
 #1463926  by Jon06066

This is my first post. I have an interest in transportation and recently read John McPhee's UNCOMMON CARRIERS. His mention of Willy Bemis and Dick Eisfeller led me to this site.

I commute through Providence, RI every weekday. There is a spur (I think) that Providence & Worcester uses that is visible from I-95 North near the Thurbers Avenue curve right before Exit 18. I often see ethanol cars there, but it seems like there are more than usual lately. I think that I saw some gondolas the other day as well.