Railroad Forums 

• Grade Crossings - the real tragedy in railroading

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1412799  by GOLDEN-ARM

Tadman wrote:There's been a lot of chatter about the 188 incident recently. I, too, mourn the loss of 8 people and the uncertainty caused by this accident. But let me tell a far more troubling story.

244 people died in 2015. That's about 2 188-style incidents per month.

Why don't they do something about this?
it might be sad, but the fact is, 244 people is a relatively small number. lets do something about swimming pools,instead. did you know an average of 10 people drown each day, in the usa? it's about 3600 per year. surely something can be done about swimming pools, right? 244 seems somewhat paltry, compared to 3600.

play stupid games at the crossing, and you'll win stupid prizes. it sucks for the passengers that are taken out with these drivers, but in reality, that 244 is again, a very small number.