Railroad Forums 

• States Reinvest in Once Abandoned Freight Lines

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1370574  by SemperFidelis

I think there's around a hundred pages dedicated to that idea (Mountain Division), somewhere around here.

Honestly, Canadian destinations are something I hadn't given much thought. The Saint Lawrence Seaway isn't getting any larger so maybe the rerouting of these huge ships will cause some interesting new routings into Canada. I'm hoping for a resurgence of the old Erie Southern Tier from the Port of Newark area to Buffalo (as a gateway to Canadian markets).
 #1370764  by Flat-Wheeler

How much Canadien bound traffic used to come off the West Coast docks, from these massive cargo ships ? Calgary and Winnepeg markets are served by the big ports at Seattle and Vancouver, and will continue as usual. I really don't forsee much change to Canada intermodal routing. After all, the port of entry for these massive ships is no longer monopolized by the West Coast. Now the cargo remains on the huge ships and is landed at ports in the Gulf/ East Coast, closer to where the rail bridge from the West would reach to. I supposed Chicago markets would now be reached by more rail bridge from the East Coast, or possibly the Gulf Coast is closer, and less of a congested bottle neck, than the East Coast.

Looking at a map of our neighbors to the North, the only markets that could see any benefit is Toronto and Montreal, which would ideally benefit by rail bridge from ports at Philadelphia, Newark, or Baltimore. This would cut the time it takes for smaller ships to navigate North around the Novia Scotia peninsula and back Southwest down the St Lawrence seaway. Ottawa has no direct rail route from the U.S, and would not see any advantage.