Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Police

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1368852  by Steelrain

I have a job as management with the Railroad. It is a Class I RR. Eventually I would like to consider a job in the RR Police as a Special Agent. From what I have seen, all RR Police require previous experience. I really dont want to leave the RR and have time against me with RR Retirement and/or pension.

I have looked into getting a peace officers license in my state and doing Reserve Police to get experience for a few years, then transfer within the company to a Special Agent or RRPD position. I am also in the ARNG.

The other question I have is that the RR requires most people to currently/already have their peace officers license. Does the Railroad not move you state to state? Seems like that would force you to recertify? Or are RRPD Officers considered federal? Or is their jurisdiction any state, but only on the track/property?

How does that work? I want to make sure that if I have to stay in one state, I get my license in a state I would want to live in long term.