Railroad Forums 

• Proposed Norfolk Southern NS Canadian Pacific CP Acq/Merger

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1356569  by s4ny

I guess CP likes the former D&H line they just sold, they are buying all of NS to get it back!
 #1356574  by YamaOfParadise

Here's an actual source, from Bloomburg:
Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd., the second-biggest railroad in Canada, is exploring a takeover of U.S. carrier Norfolk Southern Corp. in a fresh attempt to consolidate the North American industry, according to people familiar with the matter.

Canadian Pacific is raising financing and has held early-stage merger talks with Norfolk Southern, which is valued at about $24 billion, said two of the people, who asked not to be identified because deliberations are private. Discussions are preliminary and talks may not progress or lead to a deal, they said.

Shares in Norfolk Southern rose as much as 13 percent in New York after trading was temporarily halted, the biggest intraday gain since 2001. Canadian Pacific increased as much as 7.2 percent in Toronto.
 #1356578  by lvrr325

I'd just as soon not see that happen. And it's certainly not guaranteed, they tried with CSX last year and didn't get anywhere. But it's good for the stockholders.
 #1356623  by s4ny

Stopped trading because the stock started rising quickly and triggered
a circuit breaker. Was halted for less than 10 min.

This does not indicate if the deal will actually take place.

The companies are just talking.
 #1356660  by Backshophoss

Figure on various oversight committees taking a close look at the proposed merger,from the STB on down.
Might include some "anti-trust" people as well,from both sides of the border.
This could "flame out" like SP+SF did.
 #1356666  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote:Figure on various oversight committees taking a close look at the proposed merger,from the STB on down.
Might include some "anti-trust" people as well,from both sides of the border.
This could "flame out" like SP+SF did.
Or like BNSF+CN.

I'm not convinced that CP+NS will go through, but this is about the best time for EHH to make such a huge move - coal prices are way down, Moorman is just about out, CP's operating ratio is way down (and oil is way up), and EHH has at least some investor confidence. (Gotta admit though, my first thought was, "CP is buying NS? Not the other way around??")
 #1356685  by piker

Are there any operational efficiencies or real world savings in this or is it more of a financial engineering scheme. The corporate cultures seem totally opposite. I would think NS would tell EHH and Bill Ackman to pound sand just on principle but if there is money to be made...