Railroad Forums 

• Savannah Port Expansion?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1130379  by MattW

I live along the Georgia Subdivision of CSX from Atlanta to Augusta, and I was wondering if there would be an increase in freight traffic along this route to accommodate the in-progress expansion of the port of Savannah which in turn is in response to the Panama Canal expansion? I had heard at one time that the Georgia Sub was the main route from Atlanta to Savannah, but is this actually the case, or would traffic go south to Waycross, then up to Atlanta?
 #1401326  by Jeff Smith

Savannah Port Authority is Expanding: Progressive Railroading

Fair-use Snips:
Port of Savannah slates $128 million rail expansion

The Port of Savannah plans to extend its intermodal rail reach beyond the Southeast and into the Midwest with a $128 million project that will link the Garden City Terminal's two rail yards, Georgia Ports Authority (GPA) Executive Director Griff Lynch announced yesterday.
"This enhancement of our rail capacity is a game-changer in the market to serve cities ranging in an arc from Atlanta to Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago and the Ohio Valley," Lynch said. "Additional track will allow us to build unit trains, 10,000 feet long, completely on terminal, while reducing rail crossings and impact on the local community."

The $128 million project will improve efficiency and increase terminal rail lift capacity to 1 million containers per year. It also will allow GPA to build the unit trains on terminal without disrupting nearby traffic. The project will be funded in part by a $44 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Unit train capacity on terminal will build density into the system, which will speed up and add rail service to markets in the Midwest that are attractive to rail providers CSX and Norfolk Southern Railway, port officials said.
 #1404534  by litz

If not today, then tomorrow for sure.

Last I heard the only thing left to do was the Coast Guard tugging all the navigation buoys displaced by the storm back into position.

The port itself was undamaged, and power has been restored.