Railroad Forums 

• CSX Single Stacks on the Kanawha Sub?

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1049165  by iceman977th

I was driving home from Huntington tonight and managed to intercept (by sheer luck) a single-stack train running EB past Pikes in Catlettsburg, ID if I could understand it right was Q136-26, with CSX 303 leading. I managed to get turned around and get a short clip of it with my iPad at the westmost crossing in Kenova. Is this a new train or some sort of reroute? They were booking it, that's for sure.

Video will be up shortly.
 #1050639  by WSH

I know for the last few years here in WV they have been modifying most, if not all, of the tunnels to accepts single and double stacks. From my office in Charleston I've seen a lot of them on the CSX tracks, where in the past it's been about 90% coal trains, and 10% chemical tanks.

Don't know specifically about the area you're talking about buy maybe this sheds a little light on the situation.
 #1051146  by iceman977th

I figured out that CSX gained the Maersk contract about a year ago, and CSX has been running this route versus their more northern route to Virginia. The train is running as Q135 (WB) and Q136 (EB) single stacks. Would be interesting to see doubles on the Kanawha.
 #1056291  by WSH

I've been keeping count (during business hours 8am-5pm) and there is on average 3-6 single stacks going through Charleston WV every day now!
 #1057180  by iceman977th

WSH wrote:I've been keeping count (during business hours 8am-5pm) and there is on average 3-6 single stacks going through Charleston WV every day now!
Really? I NEVER caught one until the other night. My friend who lives across the state line said he's caught them numerous times. I had no idea that any of this was going on! I feel so left out, lol. One day I'll have to go up to catch them somewhere. I'm assuming they take the Northern sub to Columbus? Or do they run to Cincy and go up?
 #1058314  by WSH

I would assume the same but have no idea. I'm just observing out my office window. Maybe I need to get my FM radio back out and have a listen!
 #1248968  by mmi16

With the completion of the National Gateway project improving the tunnel clearances as far East as Cherry Run, WV on the Cumberland Sub double stack traffic is now being handled to the Chambersburg, PA ramp. Since the curfews that were in place for the tunnel projects have ended, Q135, Q136 and Q130 have been restored to the normal route over the former B&O and RF&P from Chicago to Richmond and on to Portsmouth.

It will take improving clearances through the Virginia Avenue Tunnel in DC for double stacks to be handled to Portsmouth as well as on the I-95 corridor.
 #1314590  by Appalachianrailroads

The C&O lost Q130, Q135, Q136, and Q139 in October of 2013. 135 and 136 came back in October of 2014. It was originally intended that they would only run on the C&O again for two weeks due to maintenance along the B&O to Cumberland. More and more weeks were added and since then, Q135 and Q136 have not left the C&O. They still run on the Kanawha as of this post.

As a side note, the C&O does see a weekly intermodal train on Sunday nights in the form of a Q122. This train is basically containers that couldn't make it out of Ohio during the week that needed to go to Portsmouth, VA and they're all made up as one train in Columbus, Ohio.

Q139 was an empty intermodal train that run every Monday. That doesn't operate on the C&O anymore but there are times when random empty intermodal trains run out of Portsmouth, VA to North Baltimore, Ohio via the C&O. These trains have operated under the IDs of X115 and X116.