Railroad Forums 

• Rebuilding the Lexington Line...feasable plot?

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #993864  by iceman977th

I've always wondered, what would have happened if the Lexington line from Ashland to Lexington would have been railbanked, or if someone took an attempt to rebuild the line, what it would be like...the line used to be a major connection to Lexington/Louisville from the coalfields, and there were several small towns along it's path, along with a regional college, & an interstate within 5 miles of the whole route...Anyone have any thoughts?
 #1108096  by rogruth

The old C&O right of way through this area was returned to original owners or heirs and there is no right of way.At Morehead,home of the university mentioned above,the right of way is now a highway bypassing downtown streets.The tracks were completely removed from near Ashland to Lexington.A little of the C&O may still be in use at Winchester.
I never understood why it was decided to drop that line.I do know that after the last passenger train there was only one freight a day and it did not stop beween Ashland and Winchester.I remember when a train would stop in Morehead to deliver a hopper car of coal to the MSU heating plant next to the tracks.IMHO C&O/Family Lines did not want business along this line,