Railroad Forums 

• Folkston Lodging

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #981654  by tahawus84

Going down to folkston. Usually I spend the night in my car but im bringing my gf and wanted to know if there are any good places to stay in town. We are more concerned with it being clean than anything else. Most posts I have read said the western motel is decent but most posts date back to 2008 so I was wondering if anyones been there recently.
 #981687  by Freddy

Folkston is about 45-50 miles north from the north side of Jacksonville, so no problem there, and about 20-30 miles south of Waycross,also not a problem. Callahan Florida is close by to.
 #981690  by tahawus84

when I went in May I stayed in jacksonville at the holiday inn. Just was hoping to stay a little closer this time to folkston. I also stayed in kingston before (24miles away) but I just hate driving out to folkston. Might be my best bet to stay in Jax or Kingston though
 #981726  by Noel Weaver

I have stayed at the Western Motel in Folkston several different times and it was fine with me. It is a good location not very far from the train watching area and has internet access. Biggest problem in Folkston is food, you have a diner, a deli and a Dairy Queen and probably one or two more places but that is about it. Kingsland is around 20 miles to the east and reached by a good two lane road. Kingsland is right on I-95 and has lots of places to eat and sleep. The remains of the old Seaboard reach there and there is an interchange with the St. Mary's Railroad although I do not have any idea as to how much rail traffic exists there, I would say probably not too much.
Folkston is a really neat small town and the people are very friendly there as well. It is nice to have police officers wave at people with cameras rather than hasseling them. I have always enjoyed my visits there.
Noel Weaver
 #986111  by tahawus84

I ended up staying in kingsland. Was not a bad trip. Saw up, ns, and leased power. Could not believe the number of cars that were driving around the gates in folkston. even saw a truck at one point drive around the gates as a train was approaching.
Went to see the st marys but did not see any power. They still have the small transload operation but I went by the enginehouse and the tracks were all torn out and all that was left were broken ties. I was there 2 years ago and things looked much better. Does any one know if they still have that f7? I never saw it but I saw pictures online.