Railroad Forums 

• Update w/ photos! WV New Tygart Flyer!

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #970563  by WSH

As promised I finally got the photos back from my families recent trip on the New Tygart Flyer which left out of Elkins, WV. Here they are, I hope you guys all enjoy them!

I thought I'd put this photo up first, it's at the depot before we departed. I'm especially proud of this one because my 3yr old son took it! He saw me taking photos of the locomotive and wanted to take one too. I think it turn pretty good!

Here's a photo of my son, Theron, sitting on the locomotive

Here's another former WM locomotive they had parked beside our train

Here is the parlor car parked at the High Falls of the Cheat "station"

The High Falls of the Cheat

My daughter hamming it up for the camera at the falls

This is an abandoned line they said ran into Glady

At the end of the trip Theron really wanted to see where you "drive the train" from. The crew were nice enough to let us in the cab!

He loved it!

Many thanks to the engineer!

All in all it was a great trip and a great first experience on the railroad for my wife and kids!
 #970575  by Noel Weaver

WSH wrote:As promised I finally got the photos back from my families recent trip on the New Tygart Flyer which left out of Elkins, WV. Here they are, I hope you guys all enjoy them!

I thought I'd put this photo up first, it's at the depot before we departed. I'm especially proud of this one because my 3yr old son took it! He saw me taking photos of the locomotive and wanted to take one too. I think it turn pretty good!

Here's a photo of my son, Theron, sitting on the locomotive

Here's another former WM locomotive they had parked beside our train

Here is the parlor car parked at the High Falls of the Cheat "station"

The High Falls of the Cheat

My daughter hamming it up for the camera at the falls

This is an abandoned line they said ran into Glady

At the end of the trip Theron really wanted to see where you "drive the train" from. The crew were nice enough to let us in the cab!

He loved it!

Many thanks to the engineer!

All in all it was a great trip and a great first experience on the railroad for my wife and kids!
I found this to be a class operation two years ago when I visited it. I am glad that you also enjoyed it and thank you for the delightful pictures.
Noel Weaver
 #970742  by trainmaster611

Hey, I appreciate the pictures and I hope you had a good time! I just wanted to point out that the images you linked to are only thumbnail size. Also, linking directly to the .jpg allows you to avoid all the ugly clutter that imageshack puts around your image.
 #970941  by WSH

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the thumbnails, I tried to link directly to the images but no matter what I did railroad.net kept giving me the error message that the photos were too big (no matter what size they were) the only solution I could find was to do what I did with imageshack.
 #971673  by trainmaster611

WSH wrote:Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the thumbnails, I tried to link directly to the images but no matter what I did railroad.net kept giving me the error message that the photos were too big (no matter what size they were) the only solution I could find was to do what I did with imageshack.
That's because you were trying to put them inline with the message. It's best to just give a link to the .jpg instead of using the [img] thing on forums like this. I'd actually love to see the images that you posted!
 #978102  by NellieBly

The abandoned bridge you show in one picture was actually the line to Durbin, WV and a connection with the C&O Greenbrier Sub. Had you gone south of High Falls, you would have seen the new connection to the Cass Scenic Railroad that West VA built more than a decade ago to prevent the tourist railroad from becoming "landlocked" after CSX abandoned the Durbin line. But there is some sort of conservation work going on in the Shavers Fork River that prevents the Cheat River Salamander (an Edwards railbus) from operating, and standard passenger equipment cannot operate south of High Falls due to a 29 degree and a 33 degree curve just south of there.

I hi-railed all the way down to Slaty Fork about a decade ago, and that was sure a fun ride, especially when we hit the big washout just beyond the line's summit near Greenbank.
 #978240  by WSH

NellieBly wrote:due to a 29 degree and a 33 degree curve just south of there.
Now that sounds like fun!

Thanks for the info., it is very interesting and makes sense. I swore I remembered a few years ago seeing an advertisement for a very special Cass to Elkins run that Cass was putting on, it must have followed that route.