Railroad Forums 

• Overnight in a Caboose?

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #961277  by WSH

Here in West Virginia two or the tourist railroads offer options where you can stay overnight in a refurbished caboose.

The Castaway Caboose on the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley RR
http://mountainrailwv.com/choose-a-trai ... ay-caboose

The overnight caboose rentals at Cass:
http://www.cassrailroad.com/caboose_rental.html

Myself, my wife and my brother and this girlfriend are all interested in possibly doing this, however we were wanting some information.

Has anyone on here actually stayed in one of these, or something similar?

Any tips would be helpful!

Thanks!
 #961280  by Noel Weaver

This sure sounds very enticing at the start BUT think things out. What happens if somebody gets badly ill or hurt while isolated in West Virginia? There is no cell phone service in these areas (at least there wasn't last year and I doubt if there is this year either) so you will not get help at your fingertips even if your battery is good. In addition it can get somewhat disagreeable if the weather turns sour.
If you have a doctor with you then some of my arguments above are mute but I would think of the possible consequences if something were to happen.
The day I rode Cass I casually asked about snakes around the area and the reply was yes we have them. Rattlesnakes can be deadly if you do not have immediate medical attention and antivenom at hand.
Even in my younger days this would simply be a bit too risky for me.
On another thought, I highly recommend the rides on Cass, the tourist trains out of Elkins and Durbin and suggest that you enjoy riding these splendid lines but come back to your base at the end of the day (your car that is).
Noel Weaver
 #961560  by WSH

I appreciate the words of caution. However I and from WV and spend a great deal of time hunting/camping/fishing in the backcountry already, so that isn't a big concern of mine.

One piece of info. I'm trying to get is an idea of the accomidatins. The photos on both sites don't show the detail I'd like to get an idea of the sleeping arrangements.