Railroad Forums 

• rail attractions near West Palm Beach?

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #899661  by jaystreetcrr

I'm going to be in West Palm Beach next week and wondered if there is anything train related (prototype, model, etc.) worth seeing. We'll probably ride TriRail from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. I'd like to get down to the Keys and see the remnants of the line to Key West but don't think we'll make it. Anything close to West Palm? thanks, John
 #899830  by Noel Weaver

jaystreetcrr wrote:I'm going to be in West Palm Beach next week and wondered if there is anything train related (prototype, model, etc.) worth seeing. We'll probably ride TriRail from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. I'd like to get down to the Keys and see the remnants of the line to Key West but don't think we'll make it. Anything close to West Palm? thanks, John
Former FEC steam engine 253 is up the road in Fort Pierce but I doubt if you will be able to find anybody there on a weekday.
There are some old passenger cars and stuff around the restored FEC passenger station in Boca Raton on Dixie Highway a little south of Palmetto Park Road. This is some distance from the nearest Tri-Rail Station in Deerfield Beach.
Riding the Metro-Mover through downtown Miami can make for an interesting hour or two, weaving around streets and over a high bridge over the Miami River on the route to Brickell. Metro-Mover offers very frequent service and no fare is charged.
If you ride Tri-Rail south to Metro-Rail, make sure to get a EZ Card to ride Metro-Rail from the Tri-Rail agent at Metro-Rail Transfer (79th Street).
There is plenty of railroading in the sugar fields around Clewiston but for the most part it is private property and outsiders are not generally welcomed. Our FECRS is running a trip out there next month.
Finally early evening in West Palm Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale or probably Hollywood Stations for about an hour will likely generate about six trains if your gear your time to southbound Amtrak trains 91 and 97 which if on time are not too far apart at these locations and you will be able to see several Tri-Rail trains as well.
FEC through freight train 222 should show up through Fort Lauderdale sometime after 6:00 PM under normal condiions.
Finally, you should not have problems around here with a camera as long as you say off private property, stay out of the yards and do not interfere with operations in any way. The platform on the southbound side at Fort Lauderdale is especially wide and has some benches on it as well. The staion is staffed by Amtrak people but Tri-Rail uses ticket machines at this location.
Hope this helps.
Noel Weaver