Railroad Forums 

• Aberdeen, Carolina & Western operations.

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #788472  by jmpodlaski

Hello all,

I'll be making a trip to North Carolina in a week or two, and this time around I'd like to see the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western. I know little about this railroad and its operations, so if you could provide any information you can, please do so.

Thanks,

Joel M. Podlaski
 #788515  by Aa3rt

Here's a link to the corporate website:

http://www.acwr.com/

Note that there's a heading for rail enthusiasts including the roster and links to the company pages on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
 #788696  by ashley2771

ACWR receives grain trains from CSX a couple of times a week. CSX brings the trains to Aberdeen on the S-line from Hamlet, and ACWR moves them to Candor, NC to a chicken feed mill. The CSX engines usually stay on the train along with the green, cream, and burgundy ACWR wide-nose GP-40s. ACWR has a engine facility in Star, NC. If you search for Rick Tufts on rrpicturearchives.net, he has many photos of the ACWR.
 #1607171  by Bob Roberts

The ACWR has constructed a new short spur in the North Davidson neighborhood near the middle of Charlotte.

The new spur is here: 35.248162101840784, -80.8054132920244 or https://goo.gl/maps/q3jXwWEWnyQt8s2c7 (new siding is not visible in this imagery)

The new tracks are in a rapidly gentrifying, former textile village, where there is lots of night-time activity. Based on several social media announcements
( )
it appears that ACWR will 'run' a party train using equipment they refurbed at their shop facilities in Candor. Run is in quotes because I suspect most of the activity will occur while the train is stationary (the siding has very good pedestrian access).

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out, it could be a decent income stream for the railroad and be a good way to leverage the location of these tracks.