Railroad Forums 

• Alabama Query

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #773638  by SnoozerZ49

Hi, I'm headed down to Magnolia, AL for work and looking for some suggestions on railroad things to see and do. I'll be staying in Thomasville and will be looking to head out in different directions to explore and discover Alabama. Any suggestions? Thanks
 #798214  by Flat-Wheeler

I realize it may be a lil' late for a reply, but this is for anyone else who may want to know the same thing one day in the future.

There's lotsa railroad action just 25 miles south of Birmingham, in a little old town called Calera. CSX (former L&N) main line has a small yard and wye here, with several mining operations nearby, just before the diamonds of a NS grade crossing. Also, the village has a railroad equipment museum/ park called the Heart of Dixie where a shortline named the Calera Shelby runs round trip excursions out of almost daily. Here's there web page: http://www.hodrrm.org/default.aspx

North of Birmingham, you have the CSX Boyles yard area, but its relatively difficult to find the access road into the place.
 #806611  by SnoozerZ49

Flat wheeler, thanks for your reply, work kept me from wandering to far from where I was staying, but thanks anyways for your suggestion.