Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Building Rocky Mt NC

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #722384  by tommy3108

Hey guys

I was wondering what that abanonded building was at the north end of the Rocky Mount Yard. It is right by where S. Washington St. ends. Is it an old railroad building?
 #729855  by 10more years

Maybe I can help. Rocky Mount, back in the ACL days was a passenger car shop and a locomotive shop. The building that is still standing (the big building) is part of the old engine house/locomotive shop. That whole area was car shop (for the passenger cars) and locomotive shop. The car shop was closed down some 40 years ago. The engine house was still in use when I started some 30 years ago, but just the west part of the building. It had two tracks that ran through the building with a pit below the rail where workers could change brake shoes and do under engine work. We could spot four engines on each track. I've never been inside the rest of that building, but if it's like the rest of those type building that I've seen, the whole thing had tracks running through it. I know that there used to be tracks that led up to the building on the whole south side.

That section of land used to be covered with railroad shop buildings and tracks. The old Rocky Mount yard used to be just west of there and a little south, north of where the present Rocky Mount yard is now.

I imagine that a lot of those homes on Washington street and that area as well as home along Church Street had railroad families in them. ACL actually had a Coastline hospital across Church Street from that locomotive shop (where that rental place is now.)
 #731025  by matthewsaggie

1. There was an article in Trains about the shops in Rocky Mount, with an air photo, if I recall several years ago. Not far back.
2, I think that we still have not answered the original question, as the building that is referred to is on the station side of the mainlines and looks like a small freight shed. Next to it is a very small sand tower (at least it looks like one). While it was once part of an ACL branch to Nashville NC and beyond, both now may be a part of the Nash Co. RR., though it all looks to be uot of service.
 #731573  by 10more years

I think tommy3108 was referring to buildings at the end of S. Washington Street that are right at north end of Rocky Mount yard. That used to be one of the entrances to Emerson Shops. There used to be some freight station building on Nash County railroad side (used to be old piggyback ramps at Nash county railroad interchange yard).