Railroad Forums 

• Atlanta Railfan spots

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #707989  by highrail

I did not see anything listed in this forum for this topic...if I missed it please feel free to re-direct me to it. Thanks.

I am planning to come to the Atlanta area for a family visit and was wondering if there are any good railfan spots for catching the action around the Atlanta area...let's say within an hour in any direction from Atlanta. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Steve
 #708116  by litz

CSX's mainline goes right up the northwest side of the city, parallel to I-75.

Excellent railfanning in Vinings (there's a pizza joint trackside) and anywhere alongside the Marietta Square.

There's also the Tilford and Inman yards; plenty of areas nearby you can spot them from.

If you want to zip up to Blue Ridge (1.5 hrs away) you can chase the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway on its daily run.

- litz
 #708322  by highrail

Great ideas, thanks. I was also hoping to hit the SE railway museum in Duluth. I am looking forward to the trip.
 #708960  by Champlain Division

Best hotspots around Metro Atlanta with good parking, good food nearby and relatively safe:

Austell, GA: Junction of NS Georgia and Alabama Divisions - heavy freight traffic plus Amtrak's Crescent. Burger King right there and Wallace's Barbeque 1/2 mile west on US 78

Union City, GA: CSX former A&WP and ACL lines within a stone's throw of each other. Moderate to heavy freight traffic. Plenty of fast food nearby on Roosevelt Hwy/US 29 and GA Hwy 138/Shannon Mall area

Stockbridge, GA: NS former Southern Mainline to Macon - heavy freight traffic. Plenty of fast food nearby on GA Hwy 138. Highly recommend Capt Billy's Seafood Buffet right by tracks

Norcross to Buford, GA: NS former Southern Mainline to D.C. - moderate to heavy freight traffic plus Amtrak's Crescent. Highly recommend Norcross Depot Restaurant and plenty of fast food available either side of tracks up & down Buford Hwy/US 29 and west to Peachtree Ind Blvd and east to I-85

Cartersville, GA: Junction of CSX' former W&A/NC&StL/L&N line to Chattanooga and K&A/L&N line to Knoxville - heavy freight traffic and lots of fast food nearby.

There are other areas around Atlanta with light to moderate freight traffic, but those above will give you the best experience, especially if you're by yourself. I strongly recommend against railfanning inside the I-285 perimeter or in Downtown Atlanta by yourself. There are some heavy traffic areas there, but you really should have a local railfan with you to keep you from getting lost and keep you in a locked moving vehicle in some of the rougher areas.

Enjoy your visit and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
 #720998  by lakeshoredave

austell, ga is the best for any ns action.

anywhere northwest of town on the ex w&a for csx is a good bet.

there is a spot near downtown in a rough spot called howell interlocking, but i think its hard to get to and not in a good part of town.
 #738225  by Don_

Austell is great. Was just there two weekends ago. Lots of action at the junction, which is easily accessible. Restaurants nearby.
FYI, the gazebo, seen in online photos, has been demolished, so there's no shade area, but easy parking along the tracks and a sidewalk that crosses the heart of the junction.

Didn't see other places inside Atlanta this time.
Gainesville, the station area, had some good shots with NS engines parked in front of the depot.