Railroad Forums 

• Cass Line to Elkins

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #704803  by Lehighton_Man

Howdy guys,
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but has the Cass Scenic, Durbin & Greenbriar Valley, among others, returned the Cass - Elkins line to service? I recall seeing pictures of Cass #6 in Elkins, in 2008.. and it got me thinking. I last visited in 2006, and the line to Elkins was still OOS. Did they restore the line to service?
Thanks.
Sean
 #717605  by NellieBly

The line from Tygart Junction to Bergoo, WV (formerly B&O as far as Elkins, Western Maryland beyond) was sold by CSX to the State of WV about five years ago. Some years previously, when the line from Cheat Junction to Durbin was abandoned, the state paid to build a connection from Cass Scenic to the Bergoo line. The junction is at the foot of the grade up to the Big Cut, at 4066 feet the highest point on a railroad east of the Rockies.

The West Virginia Central now runs excursions out of Elkins north to Tygart Junction and sout to Cheat Bridge. Special trips go as far as the junction with the Cass Scenic, and last year one of the Cass Shays steamed all the way up to Elkins and back. The state has paid to restore track into downtown Elkins, rehab the former WM passenger station, and install a turntable (which is on site awaiting installation).

The entire line is very scenic. I hi-railed it not quite ten years ago with CSX personnel, and we actually managed to get over the summit at the Big Cut, but were stopped by a large washout on the west side. We backed up to the junction with the Cass Scenic and went up the lead toward Cass until we found a place to set off (grade crossings are very scarce on this line). We then drove down to Slaty Fork, set on, and hi-railed back north to the other side of the washout. So we covered the entire line from Tygart Junction to about MP 101.5. South of there to Bergoo (MP 121) the line was impassable.

Anyway, it's worth the time, if you're visiting Cass, to take the trips on the WVC.
 #717777  by Noel Weaver

NellieBly wrote:The line from Tygart Junction to Bergoo, WV (formerly B&O as far as Elkins, Western Maryland beyond) was sold by CSX to the State of WV about five years ago. Some years previously, when the line from Cheat Junction to Durbin was abandoned, the state paid to build a connection from Cass Scenic to the Bergoo line. The junction is at the foot of the grade up to the Big Cut, at 4066 feet the highest point on a railroad east of the Rockies.

The West Virginia Central now runs excursions out of Elkins north to Tygart Junction and sout to Cheat Bridge. Special trips go as far as the junction with the Cass Scenic, and last year one of the Cass Shays steamed all the way up to Elkins and back. The state has paid to restore track into downtown Elkins, rehab the former WM passenger station, and install a turntable (which is on site awaiting installation).

The entire line is very scenic. I hi-railed it not quite ten years ago with CSX personnel, and we actually managed to get over the summit at the Big Cut, but were stopped by a large washout on the west side. We backed up to the junction with the Cass Scenic and went up the lead toward Cass until we found a place to set off (grade crossings are very scarce on this line). We then drove down to Slaty Fork, set on, and hi-railed back north to the other side of the washout. So we covered the entire line from Tygart Junction to about MP 101.5. South of there to Bergoo (MP 121) the line was impassable.

Anyway, it's worth the time, if you're visiting Cass, to take the trips on the WVC.
I FULLY second this motion, all of this territory is WELL worth riding. I rode Cass twice last month to both Bald Knob and
Spruce which is where Cass joins the national network. Spruce is covered only on Fridays. Unfortunately out of Elkins I
did not get to ride to Spruce which is only being covered about once a month but I did ride to Cheat Bridge which is a
very pleasant ride. The station in Elkins is a beautiful sight of a building in excess of 100 years old.
This is a beautiful area and these operations are among the best anywhere. I stayed in a motel in Bartow, WV which is
about 40 miles from Elkins and over a mountain pass as well and about 16 miles from Cass, the Mountain Trout in their
restaurant was a delight in itself.. Accomadations at the Hermitage in Bartow are far better than any chain could offer at least as far as that area is concerned and maybe anywhere else either.
I was surprised at the decent condition of the track out of Elkins to Cheat Bridge, not very fast due to curves but in good
shape. Cass is far different from when it just moved lumber as well with rock ballast and tie plates as well as good rail on the entire trip.
Noel Weaver
 #744501  by Lehighton_Man

I'm Afraid I don't quite understand you Nellibly. Are you saying that the upper line, where the Cass Scenic connected with the WM at Spruce is now used by Cass as well, to access Elkins?
Or... are you discussing something completely different.
Thanks.
 #744531  by NellieBly

Okay, let's try this again. When the state of WV set up the Cass Scenic operation, their connection to the outside railroad world was at Durbin, WV. Then CSX abandoned, first the Greenbrier Sub to Ronceverte, then the line from Durbin to Cheat Junction (a little piece at Durbin is now operated by the Durbin and Greenbrier Railroad). So the state paid some pretty big bucks to make a connection to the former Western Maryland (ex Greenbrier, Cheat, and Elk) at Spruce, WV. This is the line from Tygart Junction through Elkins that at one time went all the way to Webster Springs, WV.

CSX put this line up for abandonment about 10 years ago, and the state bought it and restored it to operation (it had been damaged by washouts south of Elkins). The line is now intact from Tygart Junction to Spruce, and beyond to the summit of the line in the Big Cut north of Slatyfork. Operations are conducted by the West Virginia Central, which is mostly a tourist railroad but there is still some freight business between Elkins and Tygart Junction. This operation is separate from Cass Scenic, but last year one of the Cass logging locos operated all the way to Elkins, by way of the connection at Spruce.

If you're planning to visit Cass, allow some time to visit the WVC operation as well. If you time it right, you can ride the entire length of the operable line.
 #744751  by Noel Weaver

If you want to ride the entire route between Elkins and Spruce I strongly suggest you plan ahead and check the web site.
Even a telephone call might be necessary. If I get up to Albany, NY next summer, I will try to ride this entire route on my
southbound trip if time permits.
All of this country is very beautiful and the people are very helpful and friendly too.
Noel Weaver

www.cassrailroad.com

www.mountainrail.com

www.hermitagemotel.com

Above web sites should help.
 #744893  by WSH

So I am correct in understanding that this is only open for somewhat special occasions? I remember hearing about it about a year ago. How long does the trip usually take? I'd imagine with all the mountains it would be around 8 hours.
 #747230  by Bartman-tn

For details on all of the trips, you need to check their website.

The West Virginia Central runs a very complicated schedule of trips based upon the day of the week and the season. If you stay around for a few days, you can pretty much ride the entire railroad using several different trains. The roundtrip to Spruce runs only a few times a week, but is also advertised as a shorter trip since it drops people off at certain places. The Spruce trip takes about 9 hours total and generally includes lunch and dinner.
 #766063  by bigjim4life

Speaking of Cass to Durbin - I literally just uploaded footage from an old VHS, which used to be part of my parents' collection (now part of mine). This is from a video produced by Cass Scenic Railroad, featuring two Photo Specials done during a Railfan Weekend in Cass - back in 1985. The first trip was from Cass to Bald Knob, featuring Shays #2, 4, and 5 - the second was from Cass to Durbin, featuring Western Maryland Shay #6, and Western Maryland BL-2 #7172. Both trips included multiple run-bys, and the video includes shots from the trains (looking to the train ahead or behind it) - what I uploaded was only a small part of the footage.

Enjoy this look from 25 years ago!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1T0UtEEvk

Don't forget to check out my other videos, including other old videos of Cass from the 80s, and other trains from the 80's, 90's, and today. Go to http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life - and enjoy!!
 #766067  by Noel Weaver

bigjim4life wrote:Speaking of Cass to Durbin - I literally just uploaded footage from an old VHS, which used to be part of my parents' collection (now part of mine). This is from a video produced by Cass Scenic Railroad, featuring two Photo Specials done during a Railfan Weekend in Cass - back in 1985. The first trip was from Cass to Bald Knob, featuring Shays #2, 4, and 5 - the second was from Cass to Durbin, featuring Western Maryland Shay #6, and Western Maryland BL-2 #7172. Both trips included multiple run-bys, and the video includes shots from the trains (looking to the train ahead or behind it) - what I uploaded was only a small part of the footage.

Enjoy this look from 25 years ago!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1T0UtEEvk

Don't forget to check out my other videos, including other old videos of Cass from the 80s, and other trains from the 80's, 90's, and today. Go to http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life - and enjoy!!
Brings back great memories from my visit there last summer, thank you very much for posting.
Noel Weaver
 #767077  by bigjim4life

You're very welcome!! I also just uploaded more videos as well, from another vhs - no Cass ones here, but other cool footage as well!