Railroad Forums 

• CSX Kanawha/Big Sandy Subs + NS Kenova District

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #698674  by iceman977th

Me and my dad are planning on spending a day railfanning the general area from Russell to Catlettsburg into Kenova, and possibly up to Barboursville and St. Albans. Anyone have a timetable of trains on either CSX sub, as well as the locals in Kenova and West Huntington, as well as KRT trains to CSX and NS, or the locals passing the wye near the NS Kenova yard? I have a scanner with CSX road, dispatch, the CSX freq KRT uses, and NS road on scan, but sometimes it's hard to hear (I need a better scanner.) Thanks.
 #699065  by ChessieSystem

I'm not sure what the time-table is in there anymore. About the only timed trains on CSX are Q302/303 and Amtrak 50/51. The coal trains are any time. Kenova can be a good spot if there is a lot of NS/CSX activity. NS on their bridge crossing the Ohio River. CSX coming out of Cattletsburg, KY or trains going into Kentucy. Of course on the Kentucky side is Big Sandy Jct where the Kanawha Sub and Big Sandy Sub meet at old BS Cabin (this too can be a good spot if there is a lot of east/west or north/south traffic).

I don't know much about the local freights between Russell and Huntington or Russell to the chemical plants down on the Big Sandy.

I've done some video taping in that area before since my wife was from Huntington and her family used to live there.

I don't know much about Norfolk Southern traffic since my interest was usually in C&O/Chessie/CSX.

Good luck and hope the trips goes well and you see some action.