Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Savannah and Hilton Head areas

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #720612  by Noel Weaver

From Savannah it would probably only take you a couple of hours or so to drive down to Folkston which is the very best
place anywhere in the southeast for watching trains. Jesup is closer and there are also facilities for watching trains there
too although I haven't checked it out.
At the border welcoming station just south of the South Carolina/Georgia line you can obtain for free a great highway map of
Georgia that also shows the railroads, I recommend you stop and obtain one for your use.
Noel Weaver
 #754450  by trainfun

There are no operating railroads on Hilton Head Island. Some folks do like the Savannah Amtrak station, but I've never been there. I can second Mr. Weaver's recommendation of Folkston, GA. The drive from Savannah to Folkston takes about 2 hours and fifteen minutes. You will see more trains there than at any location in the Hilton Head/Savannah area. There are other threads on Folkston on this forum, so I'd recommend a search. The railfan platform adjacent to the tracks has WiFi if you are interested in ATCS, a public bathroom nearby, and scanners broadcast through clear speakers. You can also find overnight accommodations.

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm replying in case anyone else is interested.
 #757675  by Sylvain727

:-D The towns of Hardeeville,Ridgeland and Yemassee are good for watching trains
on the CSX Charleston sub in the Hilton Head Island Area.

I know they're passing very often. There's a lot train traffic there.

In Georgia,the Savannah Amtrak Station could be a good spot for watching CSX and Amtrak trains included
Jesup and Folkston in the south of the Georgia close to the state of Florida border.
 #1020676  by sery2831

I will be visiting Savannah mid March. I have been to the Amtrak station to check out Amtrak service at night and have caught some freight. But the place isn't good for photography.

Is there any one new on this board with some suggestions since this thread was started for the Savannah area?