Railroad Forums 

• Boca Grande mineral mines

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #664984  by Lehighton_Man

Hey all.
Upon my trip to Florida last year, we went out to dinner at a place called the Fishery in Placida, where i stumbled upon some sort of ROW.
To later discovery, it was of ACL origins, and went to Port Boca Grande to service a mineral mine of sorts, which i think is a Phosphate mine, if memory serves me correctly.
What i am interested in, is all information pertaining to such branch, and have 2 live search images to share, which i am led to believe, might've been the pits where any mineral was extracted. Please correct me if i am wrong.
example 1:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

example 2: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Thanks for any information pertaining to this line.. I am very eager to learn of its history.
Sean
 #668373  by CapnTomDrums

Boca Grande was served by the Charlotte Harbor and Northern RR, a common carrier owned by American Agricultural Chemical Corporation to carry phosphate from its mines at Mulberry and Arcadia to the phosphate docks at the seaport at Boca Grande. The line was built in the early 1900s and taken over by Seaboard Air Line around 1925. It was abandoned and torn up in the 1980s.
Don Hensley has an article on the CH&N at his 'Taplines' website. He also published a book titled "The Boca Grande Route-The Story Of The Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railway". There is another book titled "Boca Grande-Once A Railroad Town" but I dont have the author's name.
ACL never went to Boca Grande.