Railroad Forums 

• Folkston and Jessup

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #515043  by BAR

I spent three hours at the Folkston viewing platform the evening of March 10 and saw a dozen or so trains and another three hours the morning of March 11 with similar results. After dining at the Okefnokee Restaurant on Main Street near the Folkston viewing platform I can highly recommend it for dinner. Excellent food (get the buffet) at very reasonable prices which I enjoyed in the company of a fellow railfan from Chicago I met at the platform.

Stopped at Jessup for a short period of time with no trains. However a visit to the Jessup Chamber of Commerce building adjacent to the Jessup viewing platform yielded a wonderful, large map of Georgia railraod past and present. They had a good supply of the multi-color maps which are free for the asking.

#520717  by Noel Weaver

Jesup and Folkston, no comparison. Jesup has maybe half as many trains
and single track operations, Folkston is the junction point between two
busy lines and double track south of that point.
Folkston has very friendly people and decent surroundings too. Jesup was
noted years ago as being a major speed trap on US-301 through Georgia.
Ludowici which is just a few miles north is still considered a major speed
trap location. At one time the AAA warned travelers of both places.
I don't know just how Jesup is today but I have enough memories of the
past to stay away from there.
Noel Weaver

#522657  by PMWood

Folkston's my choice, just spent the weekend. Even with the bad weather there was good viewing! Town provides a covered platform, complete with CSX radio over the loudspeakers. Can be some dull spots, but not many. Amtrak Auto-train in the early morning and evenings, and the Tropicana Juice train most nights.

Inn at Folkston the best B&B in the area, and as mentioned, the Okeefenokee is the best eatery. Friday night seafood buffet!

#523092  by DaveA

I stopped at Folkston on Mar.29th and it really is an enjoyable spot. There were 6 or 7 people there and everyone had a pleasant chat. Even a retired local engineer was passing on some interesting stories. The town should hire him to be there regularly. lol Trains were a little light, when we were there but we had evidently missed a busy period. Nice spot and worth a re-visit on another trip to or from Florida. We stayed over in Kingsland as we were traveling Rte. 95. Only about 20-25 miles.
DaveA

#523164  by PMWood

The city doesn't have to hire him, he's there if it is daylight!

#523232  by DaveA

Hahahaha PM, that's a good one. I've heard of folks that "can't let go" after retiring. This guy must be one of them. At least some of his stories were entertaining. Maybe I'll hear them again next year. Hahaha.

Nice place though. Decent chairs, the overhead fans, and a nice view.
Dave

#534252  by lakeshoredave

folkston is way bigger and busier than jessup.
 #557684  by coco60

Do you see a good amout of trains on Friday and Weekend nights in Folkson? What is the least time to see trains there?What time does the auto train go through?
 #649434  by Champlain Division

There is no such thing as a bad time to see trains at Folkston unless something unexpected happens like a wreck or other service disruption down one of the converging lines in the three different directions. Weekdays, weekends, days, nights - - it's all good! Go! Enjoy!