Railroad Forums 

• Alabama Spots

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #417255  by chuckmitchell

I am going to Alabama to Railfan NS, CSX, and BNSF. Does anyone know any good spots around the Huntsville, and Birmingham areas? And How active those lines are. Any Addresses, or any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 #421701  by ringo

Chuck, I can tell you where to go, go to Decatur just west of Huntsville. Here you have the crossing of the Tennessee River of both CSX and Norfolk Southern. They share the same bridge. It is fairly busy, and there is a hotel right near the crossing where you can watch from your room. It is a very nice area to railfan. As far as Birmingham, it is busy. Anywhere near the Amtrak station is good as NS and Csx share the line. This is a very busy spot. There are a few other spots, but this seems to be the safest and the best. You can watch also from a few overpasses. I hope this helps , ringo

#421708  by chuckmitchell

Thank you very much, I am leaving Friday so this info came just in time
 #421909  by ringo

Chuck, I am glad it helped, let me know how the trip goes, I will be curious to know. I think you will really enjoy Decatur, lots of good action, right on the river. Very nice scenery, Ringo
 #649735  by atsf sp

I will be going through Mobile, AL this summer. How is the freight traffic there and where are the best spots to see trains?