Railroad Forums 

• Hot spots in the New Orleans area (question)

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #357058  by NS3737

Any advice on points of interest railway wise in the New Orleans area (100 miles radius from down town give or take a few miles) is very welcome.

Please also add an assessment on the general safety situation around the location and information where to park your car or even better accessibility by public transport if available. Directions to get there (by car or public transport) are also welcome.

I have a broad interest so anything on class I, II, II, yards or junctions goes. But a good major brigde location has an edge.

Thanks in advance!

Gijs

#428126  by Don_

Did you make it to NOL?

I notice no one has replied.

I'm considering going soon and am planning pictures of EB Amtraks in the morning at the Lake Ponchtartrain as well as the fabulous bridge at Manchac on the former IC line (City of New Orleans).

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

#428550  by NS3737

Don

Not yet, but the lack of response to this thread is quite discouraging. As is that I received also litte input on similar requests to Kansas City, Memphis, St Louis and Chicago!

Gijs.

#428585  by Ken W2KB

I can't speak to the specifics of the NO freight operation, but I found riding the streetcar line very interesting, and viewing the carbarn from the sidewalk immediately adjacent and easy to photograph the iterior from that location.