Railroad Forums 

• Hot spots in the Memphis area

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #357057  by NS3737

Any advice on points of interest railway wise in the Memphis area (100 miles radius from down town give or take a few miles) is very welcome.

Please also add an assessment on the general safety situation around the location and information where to park your car or even better accessibility by public transport if available. Directions to get there (by car or public transport) are also welcome.

I have a broad interest so anything on class I, II, II, yards or junctions goes. But a good major brigde location has an edge.

Thanks in advance!

Gijs

P.S. I noticed this happened to be my 100th contribution to the railroad.net forums.
 #1152606  by memphisrrvet.

I'll will write you the real post of my opinion since I've lived in Memphis my entire life and watched trains almost everyday there but right now I am in class. And I will get back to you asap.
 #1165454  by rb

Hi there! I am in Memphis until Friday and would appreciate any advice you could provide, particularly concerning shortlines and industrials.
 #1165497  by NS3737

Well a bit on short notice to give a more up to date answer, but here is the trip report that I wrote after my visit in 2008.

To keep the size of the uploaded files down I broke it into pieces.

I hope it is of some help.

Gijs
Attachments:
(902.24 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
(552.76 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
(909.78 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by NS3737 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.