Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning around Haines City , FL

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1288458  by guycarr360

Hi Everyone,

First post, so please be patient!!!

Staying in the Haines City area for a week in September, and know a line passes through, which I often seen passenger trains on and the odd freight.

Question is :- Do they run to any sort of timetable, and if I want to catch some of the famous long freights, is it worth a ride out to see them.

Was lucky enough to be in California, and leaving LA, we used the San Bernadino pass, that has got me wondering if I am far away from the same sort of action.

Any help appreciated, I am from the Uk by the way.
 #1288655  by Noel Weaver

Haines City is south of the south terminal of Sun Rail commuter service so you can expect to see Amtrak 98, 97, 92 and 91, provide yourself with an Amtrak timetable and use Kissimmee as a guide southbound and Winter Haven or Tampa as a guide for northbound. Freight is not too heavy anymore, most of it runs on the "S" line through Ocala and Wildwood.
Noel Weaver
 #1288668  by guycarr360

Thanks for the reply Noel, how far are we looking at, and what are the busy times of day, or are on line timetables available.

Don't think investing in a scanner is worthwhile at the moment, might get half a day to do this.

Appreciate your help as always.
 #1288844  by Noel Weaver

Haines City is between Winter Haven and Kissimmee in the Amtrak passenger timetable for trains 97 and 98. It is also between Lakeland and Kissimmee for trains 92 and 91. Kissimmee times for 91 - 10:55 AM, 97 - 1:32 PM and train 98 at Winterhaven at 12:10 PM. Train 91 at Kissimmee - 10:55 AM, 92 at Lakeland 5:53 PM. Use your phone to check train status with Amtrak but I would say between 11:00 Am and 2:00 PM you might get three Amtrak trains if they are all on or close to schedule.
Noel Weaver
 #1289245  by guycarr360

Thanks Noel,

Following on from your reply, will now see if I can get away to Wildwood as a short day out.

Any particularly busy times, and again is a timetable worked to in any format???

Thanks again.
 #1289462  by Ocala Mike

Wildwood is a good news/bad news deal. The good news is that you might catch the Tropicana juice train. The bad news is no passenger service for the last 10 years. Lots of "S"-line freight activity, though.
 #1290553  by Ocala Mike

Pretty much pot luck, I guess. I know there's a S/B freight that passes through Belleview (N of Wildwood) around 8:30 every night.
 #1342311  by guycarr360

Sorry to re-open the thread, unfortunately did not manage to railfan in 2014, we were too busy.

However we have time this year, again staying in Haines City, looking at the map like the look of Plant City, as it is not miles away.

Again, how busy, at what times, or pot luck again????

Or do I bite the bullet and ride out 60/70 miles to make sure of action.

As always your help is appreciated.