Railroad Forums 

• Greenbrier Express (Steam!)

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1024677  by WSH

Plans are moving forward with Ross Rowland's infamous #614. If they can get by CSX's no steam policy they want to run regular service from Washington DC to White Suphur Springs WV. It will be interesting to see how two guys like Justice and Rowland with their deep pockets will fair against CSX!

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- Several obstacles must be cleared from the tracks before the $15 million Greenbrier Presidential Express luxury train can begin carrying passengers from Washington's Union Station to its namesake resort in White Sulphur Springs.

But Jim Justice, owner of The Greenbrier resort, said he is confident nothing will derail plans to inaugurate the new service later this year.

According to the Pottstown Mercury newspaper in Pennsylvania, about half of a 38-person crew preparing 1950s-vintage Pullman sleeper cars for refitting as parlor cars on the Greenbrier Express was temporarily laid off in November, after a series of regulatory issues came to light. Work on gutting and refurnishing the cars, which once carried passengers between Los Angeles and Chicago on the Santa Fe Railroad's "Super Chief" route, is being done in a former Bethlehem Steel shop in Pottstown.

"We purposely slowed down the work because we felt like we were running ahead of ourselves in terms of getting all the regulatory approvals in place," said Justice. "We're back to working on the cars, and the train's moving ahead, although we're probably not working as intensely as we were at one time."

"The guys on the shop floor were getting ahead of the engineering that was needed to get the approvals we needed from the Federal Railroad Administration," said Ross Rowland, president of the Greenbrier Express Co., the firm rebuilding the rail cars.

"Part of the issue is that a relatively new set of FRA rules and regulations covers the complete rebuilding of passenger cars, like what we're doing," Rowland said.

Among other things, furniture used in the rail cars must be built and mounted to meet FRA impact standards.

Another hurdle that must be cleared is The Greenbrier obtaining use agreements for the 250 miles of track between Washington and White Sulphur Springs.

"A 100-mile section between Gordonsville and Clifton Forge, Va., called the Buckingham Branch, is single-track, making it basically a very busy one-lane road," Rowland said. CSX uses the Buckingham Branch to shuttle its empty coal cars back to the mines from eastern Virginia and coastal offloading ports, while sending loaded cars from the coalfields down its James River line.

Amtrak's Cardinal passenger train travels between Washington, White Sulphur Springs and points west three times weekly on the Buckingham Branch. To avoid additional traffic congestion on the already busy single-track section, it may be desirable to attach The Greenbrier Presidential Express to the rear of Cardinal, Rowland said, and follow the Amtrak train's schedule between Union Station and the resort.

Although the Greenbrier Express fleet includes C&O Locomotive No. 614, the last mainline passenger steam engine built in America when its last bolt was tightened in 1948, diesel locomotives are expected to power the luxury train, at least in its initial period of operation.

"At the moment, CSX has an ironclad no-steam policy" for locomotives using its tracks, Rowland said, due mainly to liability issues.

Rowland, a self-proclaimed "dyed-in-the-wool steam fanatic," said he hopes CSX will revisit its no-steam policy at some point to allow for at least the occasional use of C&O Locomotive No. 64. But he said he's not particularly optimistic about the rail giant changing its position.

The steam locomotive and a baggage car, both repainted in gleaming green and gold Greenbrier Presidential Express livery last summer, are now on display at the C&O Historical Society Museum in Clifton Forge. The locomotive, which pulled passenger cars between Richmond and Chicago in the late 1940s and early 1950s, will be on display at The Greenbrier's newly extended rail siding later this year.

Despite the obstacles the rail service faces, Justice said he is optimistic that the Greenbrier Express will begin operating sometime this summer.

"There are still some governmental hoops to jump through and some red tape to deal with, but I think we're real close to having everything resolved," he said.

"The response to the train has been overwhelming. People like the concept of being on the ground, in a train, relaxing in the style and tradition of The Greenbrier, and taking the time to enjoy the wonderful view that God has bestowed on all of us."

The seven parlor cars that will be a part of the Greenbrier Presidential Express will be named in honor of seven U.S. presidents who used The Greenbrier as a summer White House.

"Each parlor car will hold 24 guests, 12 on each side of the aisle, seated in overstuffed captains' swivel chairs," said Rowland. "The cars are being decorated by Carlton Varney, in The Greenbrier's Dorothy Draper theme. Each parlor car will have a chef and two servers. Guests will be served a five-course brunch, and be treated to the beautiful scenery of the Allegheny Mountains as they travel to White Sulphur Springs.

The luxury train will also include an open observation car, a rear observation lounge car with viewing platform, a kitchen car and baggage car.

"I like progress and technology -- don't get me wrong," Justice said. "But things move too fast in our society in a lot of ways. I think the idea of taking a relaxing ride in a passenger train helps us connect with the Norman Rockwell concepts we grew up with."

Operating at full capacity, the Greenbrier Presidential Express can carry up to 240 passengers. Round-trip fares are expected to be about $650.

Full Story w/ photos:
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201203010211
 #1075371  by WSH

Somehow after spending appx. $15million restoring a steam locomotive (completed) and matching railcars the owner of the Greenbrier is shocked to learn that there are major regulator issues involved in operating a steam train of a section of track heavily used by CSX and Amtrak!

My best guess is they'll eventually get the train going, but just maybe not under steam power. A friend of mine who works for CSX told me a while back that hell would freeze over before CSX would permit a steam locomotive on thier tracks!

For the whole article:
http://www.dailymail.com/Business/201208220250
 #1075746  by Gadfly

Well, he should have consulted others beforehand. Mr. Rowland must have known about CSX's hostility towards steam power; they didn't begin this venture in a vaccum. Too many people would HAVE to know the issues involved! Why did they move forward with it without addressing these hurdles first? Boldly spending millions assuming they can run the train smacks of simple ignorance of not only regulatory policies, but also of lack of knowledge of the host railroad's policies. Even a high schooler grad like me could do better. What I have is railroad experience. It is sad, and I hope they get it worked out. It could be that the entire concept may need to be changed, given an entirely different name and focus, and route. I hear Norfolk Southern, CSX's arch rival is amenable to steam! ;) If it should get out that they would be willing for it to run on their tracks, it might make CSX relax their policies and let the train run from the Greenbriar. :) :)

GF
 #1075911  by Noel Weaver

Somehow I am not keen on the success of this proposed operation especially with steam power and its high costs. This migh add more to killing this scheme than the refusal of CSX to cooperate with steam operation. I think running a train with period cars behind diesels or even in cooperation with Amtrak's Cardinal would be better than trying to run it with steam.
Noel Weaver
 #1076502  by WSH

It would be hard to say which CSX dislikes more steam or Ross Rowland! You'd think with the amount of coal CSX hauls they'd be open to it. I know C&O stuck with coal long after other railroads gave up on it, but today is a different story.

From watching Jim Justice's "rise to power" and tenure as head of the Greenbrier you can tell he is a man that heavily believes in the "money talks" way of doing things, and for the most part he's got his way (he somehow paid the National Gaurd to get the golf course up and running for the PGA tournament right after that big storm, way before most of WV had any power restored).

I've always liked the idea of the Greenbrier Luxury Train, but even as much as I love steam, I never thought it was very feasible to have it under steam power. I'm sure the train will one day run but it wouldn't surprise me if it was being pulled by a nicely repained F40 or a Genisis!
 #1076528  by umtrr-author

I think there's a point being missed here, and it veers dangerously toward a generally frowned-upon topic here, but I'll go there anyway.

The key point that was being made over and over again was not CSX or Amtrak, but the amorphous "regulations" that are preventing this train from running. Whether this is true or not, that's what was being emphasized.

In fact, in the piece it's stated (fair use quote with my emphasis added):
Asked if the culprit is CSX or Amtrak or some other entity, Justice said, "It is surely not CSX. They're great to work with. They've been perfect. I think it would be unfair for me to say it's Amtrak. The culprit really falls back on me... I wouldn't have known that (the time and complexity in gaining government approvals) in a million years."
The few comments in the article-- and I swear I should stop reading them-- take the bait. This isn't about CSX, this is about the big bad job-killing gobmint-- at least according to some of those comments.
 #1077490  by WSH

UA,

I think you're a little off in your thinking but I see where you're coming from. I don't think this is antigovernment at all. I think basically Mr. Justice is admitting more or less that he figured he could just throw money at the situation and make the train idea happen (that's what he's done with everything else at the Greenbrier) and in this case he's realizing that that money can't get you through the red tape/regulations/etc. involved with running a steam locomotive on a major railroad through multiple states.
 #1619330  by Jeff Smith

https://www.wdtv.com/2023/03/29/train-r ... utType=amp
Train ride nearly 40 years in the making close to hitting the tracks

CASS, W.Va (WDTV) - A train ride nearly 40 years in the making is finally getting ready to hit the tracks.

The wait to hop aboard the Greenbrier Express between Cass and Durbin is almost over.

Officials say plans are currently being hammered out but details of the first public ride are expected to be announced soon.

Back in 1985, 15 miles of railroad were damaged in massive flooding, and it’s been a challenge to restore access ever since.

Last month, the official steam locomotive of West Virginia, 118-year-old Shay No. 5, made the first complete trip over the line since 1985.