Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Museum/Antique Powerland

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#728790  by UH60L

For the last 9 years or so, I have been hearing rumors/statements from varying different persons that there has been discussion of bulding a "museum" behind the Antique Powerland property and moving the three Portland steam engines (4449, 700, 197) to said museum/engine house for all future work and excursions.

Is, or was, there any truth to this? Does anyone have any real info on the subject?

I would love to see this happen, but more often than not I am told it's all rumor/myth.

I love going to the steam-up, have since I was a kid right after it started in the '70s. Having the big steam engines right there would be like icing on the cake for me.

And, yes, you really can have your cake and eat it too!
 #729198  by wigwagfan

RUMOR.

The Pacific Northwest Chapter NHRS years ago had a number of museum concepts posted on their website, one of which was to use the Antique Powerland site (another one was in Tualatin, which is now a shopping mall.)

The Oregon Rail Historical Foundation, in conjunction with the Northwest Rail Museum, the SP 4449, SP&S 700 and OR&N 197 (a.k.a. UP 3203) groups are working on a museum in Portland, adjacent to OMSI.

Here is a link to information on the planned museum. It'll be located due east of OMSI, between the PGE substation and the UP mainline.