Railroad Forums 

• Testing New Green Line Cars on MAX

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#635049  by SteelWheels21

I was driving on East Burnside tonight when I saw a MAX train ahead of me with a peculiar blue light in the rear window. Turns out it was a set of new Green Line cars, they must be running tests during off-peak hours. The cars are really modern and streamlined looking, much more visually appealing than the current models.
 #638020  by moxeetwo

What you saw the other night was the cars being burned in, this where the train is operated in simulated service, doors are opened on the opposite side of the platform, station announcements are programmed in, and any faults on the Train Operators Display are recorded in a log book. The Type 4's require 3,000 miles of burn-in time before Tri-Met will put them into revenue service.
 #638380  by wigwagfan

I saw a two-car 400 series set yesterday afternoon right around 12:30 PM at Old Town while coming back from the Great Train Expo show. It was not boarding passengers, a regular blue line train was just a couple minutes behind it.

The electronic headsigns aren't as good as the roll-signs given TriMet's use of color names for the MAX lines. With the roll signs, the background of the sign was the color (i.e. red background = Red Line train). The electronic signs have only a very small colored box next to the line description.
 #639299  by moxeetwo

You should see more cars out at night and during the day. Cars 401-402 and 403-404 can be tested day or night, 405-406 only at night.

When the train inter-lines (Red line goes to the yard) the red box that shows the color stays red with a small round blue light in the middle indicating its a Blue Line as well. I think people will get used to the different signs it may take awhile.