Railroad Forums 

• WES: Feb 2

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#619955  by AgentSkelly

Alright the date is set in stone after being late, CRC going belly up and the usual politics.

Who's going to be there on the inaugural run?
 #620594  by Vincent

Who's going to be there on the inaugural run?
I won't be there for the first runs, but I'll be coming down sometime this spring.
 #621274  by SteelWheels21

I just started a job out in Hillsboro and take the Max, I finally saw the platform in Beaverton that the WES will use.
 #621771  by Vincent

Has a timetable been published yet? I couldn't find anything on the Tri-Met website.
 #623351  by AgentSkelly

lbshelby wrote:WES Northbound to BTC:
http://trimet.org/schedules/w/t1203_1.htm

WES Southbound to Wilsonville:
http://trimet.org/schedules/w/t1203_0.htm

There's no point in being there Feb 2, that's the start of regular service. The ceremonial opening is on Friday the 30th.
Ah, I just have been seeing the signs saying it will start on Feb 2nd; I assumed it would be a quickie ceremony that day.
 #624104  by lbshelby

The ceremonies will be on Friday. Dunno what all is involved yet, but I'm sure there will be a few speeches and such. Suspect the big event will be at Wilsonville but I have no details now. I'll post as soon as I know.
 #624424  by railohio

I shot the two-unit DMU set twice today in Tigard. I have heard this is the last week for the all-day test runs; beginning on Monday the crews will start running on the regular service schedule. Get those mid-day shots while you can!
 #624448  by AgentSkelly

On a side note, I've been hearing the trains identifying themselves as CRMX xxxx on the radio; well I'm pretty sure thats what I have been hearing.
 #624726  by lbshelby

There's a VIP only celebration on the 21st that will include an excursion and a private event in Wilsonville at the maintenance center. After that the DMUs will begin running "simulated service" -- test runs not open to the public but operating on the actual schedules -- and then on Friday the 30th is the grand opening in Tigard with free rides to the public on a first-come, first service basis from 11:30 to 3:30.
 #627044  by lbshelby

Wednesday January 21st there will be a private VIP ceremony and run at about 2 PM.

Following the 21st, runs will cease during mid-day. WES will begin at peak hours and on schedule as test trains only. Following that, on Friday Jan 30 will be a ceremonial public opening in Tigard.

Regular service begins on February 2nd; it already shows on TriMet's transit planner and on Google Transit.

Those wanting photos at mid-day should get their shots ASAP.
 #628127  by railohio

Yesterday I had a chance to preview the upcoming WES operations with a ride and a reception with a tour of the shops in Wilsonville as the moderator mentioned.

The equipment is great. The basic cars were built by Colorado Railcar Manufacturing and sent to Oregon for finishing by Tri-Met. (That is another story itself I won't get into here.) They are nicer than the MAX cars and certainly better than any bus in Tri-Met's fleet. They have upholstered, reclining seats and wireless Internet access. What's curiously missing, however, are handles for standing passengers. If these trains turn out to be a hit there may be passengers literally with nothing to hold on to.

There are five stations along the line, three are transit centers and provide connections with local bus service, Tri-Met in Beaverton and Tigard and SMART in Wilsonville. Each is shoehorned into the available space. To get to the Beaverton Transit Center a spur was built up Lombard Avenue. This provides some great photographic opportunities.

There was already talk at the reception of service expansions. One speaker discussed an extension to Salem, the state capital, while another talked about offering service throughout the day. Some off-the-record scuttlebutt indicated that more cars may be acquired in the future and service on other routes is being studied.

~BS
 #628152  by lbshelby

Glad you enjoyed the ride and the event. We must have missed each other at the party. I didn't realize there'd be another RR.net member there.