Railroad Forums 

• Pre-MAX UP Graham Line pics/Maps

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#616111  by SteelWheels21

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for any info/photos/maps of the UP "Graham" mainline in Portland before the ROW for the Blue Line was built. Some of the old heads I used to work with at UP said at one time there were close to 50 industries served in "the gulch" and that it was pretty bustling. Haven't been able to find any pre-Max pics. Help would be appreciated.
 #616163  by lbshelby

Photos are tough. Possibly Oregon Historical would have some. Their research library is $10 for a day and open Wed-Sat to the public.

Maps are not as tough. There are the Sanborn fire maps, which often show industries and some basic track detail. You can view them online from the Multnomah County Library if you have a card. You might also try and find older USGS Quad maps, they're a bit harder to fund but they are out there.
 #635407  by wigwagfan

While I can't help with pictures or maps, many of the spurs are still in existence today, albeit disconnected from the main. A day pass on MAX and a few back-and-forth rides, or a bike, should help you in locating many of these spurs.