Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Ballard trackage repair

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#607268  by Semaphore Sam

I left Seattle for work back east about 10 months ago...when I left, work had been ongoing on repair of an old washout near Shisole, mainline BNSF, which had forced a reduction to one track, causing a bottlenect just north of Salmon Bay Bridge. Is that now back to two tracks? I was watching the construction for over a year before I left. Thanks, Sam
 #607917  by Vincent

BNSF spent the summer working on the tracks between Shilshole and Everett, particularly around Blue Ridge and Mukilteo. Everything in the Golden Gardens area is double-tracked and moving smoothly, for the railroad at least. The city road that connected Golden Gardens with Loyal Heights is still washed out from last winter's storms, however.
 #607928  by Semaphore Sam

Oh, that's the road going under the RRoad, and up past the dog park. Didn't know that was out...wow. Anyway, Vincent, thanks for the info about the trackage. Between the Salmon Bay bridge openings, and the single track, things got backed up quite a bit there, and there was much to see. SSam
 #895595  by Semaphore Sam

Checking the area out on Google Earth, it seems that the line from Golden Gardens to the Salmon Bay Bridge is now re-doubled, BNSF having successfully repaired the washout area. I witnessed many delays caused by this singled area...the only delays now should be due to raising of the Bridge. Good work BNSF!
Sam
 #977730  by Paul W. Brasky

I was in Seatlle last week (left on 10/4/11) and stayed in Ballard. Although I didn't have much time to visit the Ballard Terminal RR, I did take my granddaughter to Golden Gardens last Monday. As you said, the washout work has been completed, but BNSF was working on the bridge (bascule?) over the Chittendon Locks on Monday (10/3). I saw no trains as the line was OOS due to that work.