Railroad Forums 

• Alaska Railroad Retiring MP15's and Others

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#591196  by rrfoose

I've had this question in my head but didn't want to post it. But since this is a new forum in need of topics, I figured why not!

I hear that ARR is selling their 4 MP15DC's at the end of this year. Anyone know why? I know they have bought more SD70MAC's to cut down on the number of units they have (as evidence by the offing of their "newest" locos, the GP49's), but the MP's seem to have a specialized role - switching the industries around Anchorage. The track is not in great shape and has many tight curves and clearances. What units will fill their duties? I'm guessing GP38's, but I've heard that NRE has had Gensets up there, and EMD currently has their GP22 on site for testing.

ARR is also retiring the rest of their cabooses - all of which I believe were in work train service. What could be their reasoning for this? It seems that the Alaska RR is one of the few lines that still has a real need for cabeese (based on harsh weather and remote locations).

Thanks!
Chase Z.