Railroad Forums 

• heading to eugene oregon next week

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#548515  by amoreho1

i will be heading to eugene next week and i'm just curious what rail roads and such i can see while i am out there?
 #550239  by westr

I haven't actually railfanned Eugene, but I have been there and can give you a basic idea. Union Pacific's former SP mainline runs through Eugene, and there is a decent-size yard west of downtown. The UP line carries Amtrak, which stops at the former SP station downtown. The Coast Starlight stops there, and it is the southern end of the Cascades service, which has early morning departures and late evening arrivals in in Eugene. Near the Amtrak Station is the former Oregon Electric station, which is now a restaurant. The former SP Siskyou and Coos Bay lines are operated by the Central, Oregon & Pacific out of Eugene. The Siskyou Line stays close to Interstate 5 and Highway 99 to the south. The Coos Bay line goes west, but much of it is currently out of service. The former BNSF line to the north is operated by the Portland & Western. It is largely parallel to the UP line, and the two are quite close in some places. I'm not sure how far you're able of willing to travel, but about an hour north is Albany; Portland & Western has a yard and shop near the Albany Amtrak station, and there is also the Albany & Eastern shortline from there east to Lebanon.