Railroad Forums 

• railfan Pocatello, Idaho

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#531706  by tapper13

Hi everyone. I have a trip coming up to Pocatello, Idaho. I will be flying into Salt Lake City then driving up to Pocatello for a few days. I would like to do some railroad photography while there but have been surprisingly unable to find much about the area on the internet. Can anyone give me any advice on good places to shoot within say an hour or so of Pocatello? General information about frequency of trains, expected number of trains per day, best times of day to catch trains, type of traffic and frequencies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

#531742  by AmtrakRider

I'm not familiar with most of the rail in southern Idaho, but it seems Pocatello is a hub of sorts for UP rail traffic through the area. You shouldn't have to go very far to see some action.

Also Amtrak's California Zephyr runs through Salt Lake, so you may have an opportunity there as well.

Best of luck with this.