Railroad Forums 

• Ilwaco Railway & Navigation Co.

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#386914  by blpierce

Hello Everyone!

My wife and I just moved to the Long Beach Washington area and I am interested in finding a detailed map (that shows street names)of where the "Clam Shell Railroad" had its tracks laid down at. I have already found several pictures and am in the process of ordering an out of print book on the subject. If someone has this map and could scan and send a copy to me, I would be very thankful.

Great web site & thanks again!

#397225  by Vincent

The Railroad That Ran By the Tide by Raymond J. Feagans is a good historical book about the IR & N. It should be available at a local library, if it isn't the book you ordered. The library should also have historical maps of the Long Beach peninsula. A map from the 1920s should have the route clearly marked. Good luck!

#402845  by GN 599

I have been up there a few times and I didnt know of a railroad. Sounds like interesting stuff. :-)

#434213  by wigwagfan

GN 599 wrote:I have been up there a few times and I didnt know of a railroad. Sounds like interesting stuff. :-)
For starters, the Illwaco Railway & Navigation was a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad, and also owned/operated the ferries across the Columbia River at Astoria before the Lewis & Clark Bridge (U.S. 101) was built in the 1950s.

The ferry dock still remains; there are numerous photos of the ferry operation at the Astoria Maritime Museum, and you can even drive through one of the railroad tunnels on SR 4.
 #990540  by kevin.brackney

If you know where to look, you might be able to find traces of the ROW. I think one of the depots is still standing, and has been repurposed for some other business, at Ilwaco, or Chinook? It's been a long time since I was there last. It was a narrow gauge line that operated into the '20s.