Railroad Forums 

• Tacoma Union Station

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#1407771  by theseaandalifesaver

I don't seem to understand where and how Tacoma Union Station linked up to the ROW and where the platforms would have even been. My best guess is that the current stretch on 1-5 did't exist but the timeline wouldn't like up since Union Station closed in the mid-80's and I-5 was built earlier than that.

Anyone have any pictures of the station before it stopped being used?
 #1407846  by NorthWest

The tracks were where the freeway is now. The freeway however is not I-5 but rather I-705, completed in 1990.
 #1414084  by wigwagfan

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I don't seem to understand where and how Tacoma Union Station linked up to the ROW and where the platforms would have even been.
Here's a link to a 1983 photo showing Amtrak leaving Tacoma southbound (compass north), prior to the construction of I-705:

http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/tacoma_old_1983_jul.jpg