Railroad Forums 

• Chemult, OR Klamath Railroad?

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#155649  by CoastStarlight99

Hello, I dont know if anyone will know the answer...

I visit Chemult Oregon each year for the past 2 years and have been getting into the history of the area. It has both BNSF and UP tracks, and soem old tracks with the steel removed but the old rotted wooden ties are still in place, and if you flip them over, you can get railroad nails that say the year on them. Anyway, I was looking into this online and the only thing I could find was the Klamath Railroad which was on the UP website...does anyone know anything about the history of Railroad lines in Chemult, OR?

Thanks alot.
 #216167  by wess

A quick search netted this. Dont know if this is what you were looking for.:http://www.trainweb.org/westernrails/kn/kn.html

A Brief History
The Klamath Northern is a 10.6 mile long shortline running from Gilchrist, OR, 45 miles south of Bend, to a connection with the Union Pacific's former Southern Pacific mainline between Klamath Falls and Eugene.
In 1938 the Gilchrist Timber Co. moved their logging operations from Mississippi to Gilchrist due to lack of timber and high taxes in Mississippi. The railroad was built in 1938 by the Gilchrist Timber Co. to connect their new mill with the Southern Pacific Railroad's mainline, and was incorporated as the Klamath Northern Railway in July 1940, a common carrier railroad.
From 1965 to 1977, the Glaneville Box Company operated a mill along the railroad about two miles south of Gilchrist. For awhile, the Glaneville mill shipped out more traffic on the KN than the parent company did. In 1977 the Glaneville Box Company was purchased by Brooks-Scanlon, and the mill was closed and dismantled.
In 1991 the mill and railroad were purchased by lumber giant Crown Pacific Ltd. The railroad is still in operation, though no longer listed as a common-carrier railroad.