Railroad Forums 

• Just getting into sim.. questions

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#931529  by peterde

I just started noticed train sims and know next to nothing. From what I can see there are 2 sims out there, Microsoft and Trainz. Big question, which is better? I see that people make routes for them. I really would love to drive the Erie mainine in lower NY state. Does anyone know if either of them offer that? Thanks for any advice!
 #934467  by LIRRMEDFORD

No sure if either of them offer that route. But I got with trainz myself as the classics comes with the MNRR Harlem Route. And someone built the Hudson Line. MSTS shut down the production of MSTS2 they are very out of date where Trainz Has frequent releases.
 #934607  by frank754

I've tried both of these, but I'm not a big gamer. MSTS is old but has a huge following and there are a lot of routes, in fact people are still developing them for the original version (there doesn't seem to be a newer one except for patches). To create a route, the interface is very primitive and hard to work with. For routes, there are quite a few out there from various sources, but consist creation can be a nightmare if you don't have all the dependencies and you don't quickly get savvy on how to edit files (even text files) by hand.
Auran is nice, but it's a pay app, and the newest version require a fast computer to even run.
There are a few others out there, like BVE (Boso Valley Express), which is also old (from Japan) but more technical in operation. That one, in particular, offers a lot of NYC subway routes, particularly from a free Scandinavian server. It's still in use but now there is also an open source "free BVE", but not quite as mature.
Just for relaxing, though, I stick with MSTS, and once putting together successfully a consist you like, it will run on any route, and there are quite a few nice fun routes to explore. I remember a good on for the L&HR from PA to Campbell Hall as well as one for the Erie (Pt Jervis area down to near Suffern) among the ones I've tried.
 #934616  by toolmaker

I still have and use MSTS. Currently win-7-pro, 64 bit. There are some issues to address to install and run MSTS correctly. I had to remap the train brake keys on my keyboard. . Solved that by mapping keys [page up] apply and [page down] release.

Do the newer SIM's require dedicated video card or will an intergrated one work just as well?

-Gary