Railroad Forums 

• Speed limits at Spuyten Duyvil

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1503544  by CPSK

DutchRailnut wrote:evenCSX has not had lap in 25 years .
I have driven three locos and the M7 cab car in the sim on two separate routes; The Metro North Hudson Line and the NJT Coast Line.

On the CSX GenSet NRE 3GS-21B the brake positions shown on the handle (and in the HUD) are:
Release
Graduated Self-Lap Limited (HUD only; displays once when handle is moved out of release, and again if moved back from FS SUP)
FS SUP (no HUD display, but if moved back towards Release, HUD displays Graduated Self-Lap Limited)
HO (HUD displays Suppression) As handle is moved farther towards Emergency, the HUD displays 'Continuous Service'
Emergency.

On the P32AC-DM. It shows brake positions on the HUD but none on the actual handle:
Release
Graduated Self-Lap Limited
Full Service
Emergency

On the NJT ALP-45 DP, the brake positions shown on the handle itself (and in the HUD):
Release
Hold (E-Hold on the HUD)
LAP
Service (Graduated Self-Lap Limited on the HUD)
HO (Handle Off on the HUD)
Emergency

I found that on the ALP-45 DP, the brake handle must be moved back to release after each service application if the application is not to be maintained. This was quite confusing after having driven the P32AC-DM for a while.

Does any of this make sense?
 #1503545  by DutchRailnut

I don't care what a simulator says, its put together by rookies , no MN, CSX, Amtrak locomotive has a lap function.
you are comparing make belief with a real railroad , grow up.
 #1503550  by CPSK

DutchRailnut wrote:I don't care what a simulator says, its put together by rookies , no MN, CSX, Amtrak locomotive has a lap function.
you are comparing make belief with a real railroad , grow up.
You have completely misinterpreted my thinking on this. You have decided to take offense when absolutely none was intended. If anything, I am defending you and the real-world, and not the lousy simulator!!
I have been playing these sims for a very long time, since 2000, and none to this date have ever done a very good job at simulating real-life.

Yes, I was comparing the sim to real-life, but only for the sake of determining how poorly the creators have done in simulating real life. I never, not even for a microsecond, possessed the thought that the sim was correct and that you, or any other member of this forum was wrong. I am simply curious to know just how good or bad the sim is.
My stating what the brake positions on the various locos in the sim was merely an attempt to provide information to you, and anyone who wanted to know how accurate or inaccurate the sim is.

You have taught me something, not only about railroading and locomotives, but about how much valuable time I have been wasting in forums like this one.

CPSK signing out.
 #1503563  by nomis

Mod Note: Moved from Metro North to Gaming forum.