Railroad Forums 

• ECML Class 43/HST Braking Performance

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1405369  by NaugyRR

For any of you who are into UK trains or even from across the pond, I could use some advice.

I've been trying to run the unbranded HST included with the East Coast Mainline in DTG's Train Simulator and I'm coming across a braking performance issue with the Class 43. It starts off with the emergency brake applied, and understandably takes a long time to release. However, even when making a small to moderate brake application and then attempting to release, the brakes take an aggravatingly long time to release. I understand that train brakes aren't an ON - OFF - ON - OFF ordeal, but the braking performance is similar to the default settings of the game's F59; the brakes behave more like a freight locomotive's would. There's not even a "HOLD" position for me to use to keep from losing all my air.

Is there a fix for this similar to the "John S." modifications FanRailer uses?

Thank you!
 #1405420  by LIRRMEDFORD

I can't really say if that is usual as I don't live in the UK to experience the engine in person. However I would say since it is a High Speed Train it just might be usual, since brakes have to be more efficient and powerful to stop them. Its almost the same on the Acela's here in NY
 #1405485  by NaugyRR

I'm not from the UK either, I just like their trains, haha :-D .

It's not an issue of the brakes being powerful, trust me, I prefer strong brakes, haha. I've got a lot of 'armchair time' in the Acela, and they operate much nicer than the HST-125 set does, but it's comparing apples to oranges. The HST-125 is made up of two diesels book-ending a passenger consist, so the operating experience is pretty different in regards to power curves and performance; the Acela operates more similarly to the Class 91 and 801.

The best way to describe my issue is, try running the default F59 in the Pacific Surfliner DLC, with no modifications. You release the brakes... and you wait... and you wait... and you wait. The release rate is excruciatingly slow.
 #1405536  by NaugyRR

At least with the F59 there's the FanRailer physics mod that clears that particular issue right up. I'm friends with the guys at the local engine house and might see what they have to say the next time I visit, not that it'll cure my problem, haha. The last time I was talking to them about the sim, their response was "You use a sim that simulates wheelslip? That's pretty realistic!" :-D

In the meantime I'll go back to the electrics. I've barely touched the North Jersey Coast and have been tempted to get the New Haven Line Scenario pack, so maybe I need to 'come home' for awhile, lol.
 #1405550  by LIRRMEDFORD

I have the NJC and I love it, got all sorts of scenarios from the workshop, if you do pick up the new haven scenario pack let me know how it is, I have a lot of subscriptions to runs on the New Haven line to and was thinking about getting it myself but have to hold off for a bit.

Edit:Yeah FanRailer Does a lot for the community of this game
 #1405568  by NaugyRR

Will do lirr, although it'll probably be awhile before I grab it too... budgeting and bills and general adulting, haha.

If you'd like, feel free to add me on Steam under the same username here (might be all lowercase).