Railroad Forums 

• TS2014: New York-New Haven

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1265924  by LIRRMEDFORD

Is there anyway to modify the track sounds inside the cab? Cause we all know the train doesn't sound like that going over tracks inside the cab. Double track studder is what is sounds like and that is the most dissapointing sound of them all.
 #1266126  by Fan Railer

Rockingham Racer wrote:The reviews on Steam are not good for this piece of equipment. I refuse to buy it--or anything else--until I recent some positive views on their products.
Lol, at the rate they're going, it's going to be quite some time before they get a positive review on any American equipment. They're British based, and even the British trains could use improving...
 #1266391  by Fan Railer

Rockingham Racer wrote:IMO, the sim has a lot going for it. The problem is that the buyers are the ones finding bugs, and not the beta testers. Not a good thing for business :-D
Definitely not. To be honest, I question whether or not they even have a legitimate beta testing group; otherwise, we may not be dealing with so many friggin' issues with the releases.
 #1280006  by pnaw10

Been awhile since I've played TS, but got back into it again after recently discovering the NY-New Haven segment, and the Metro-North M8 equipment. As my luck would have it, 2 days after I downloaded both, they went on sale.

No matter -- I am very pleased with the result, especially compared to Trainz Classic's attempt to simulate part of the Harlem Line with M7s a few years back. While I will give credit to Trainz for including more than one type of equipment (the M7 was the highlight, but they also included the 1100-series MUs, Bombardier coaches, various diesel locos including MNR and NH liveries, and even the SPV-2000), I think that TS2014's simulation plays much better. I've run a few other TS routes, and a few other Trainz routes, and overall, I just think TS is easier to play.

TS2014 also wins for including both Grand Central and Penn Station, compared to Trainz only running from Southeast to Bronxville. They even included the Hudson Line as far as Yankee Stadium, and the New Canaan Branch. (The other two branches, from what I gather, are not included -- though for now that's OK, as TS2014 only has electrified locomotives... it wouldn't be realistic to run M8s up to Danbury or Waterbury.)

Oddly, none of the "default" scenarios included with the route involve Yankee Stadium or the New Canaan Branch... and all these stations are also excluded from the list of possible origins and destinations when you enter "free play" mode (run between any 2 stations you choose). After finding that several users had created their own custom scenarios and made them available for free download from Steam Workshop, I was able to run a New Haven Line train originating at Yankee Stadium... the game's designers did a pretty good job of modeling the surroundings. Using "free camera" you can leave the train and see that they included the entire station structure and many details from the neighborhood including the giant baseball bat sticking out of the ground, and the stadium itself. It's puzzling that they made such an effort to simulate the vicinity, yet the only way to get a train there is to create a custom scenario or download someone else's. Same thing for the New Canaan branch.

Still, I was very pleased with what's available so far, and I hope support from me and other users will encourage further development. Within Steam, I saw some screenshots from TS2014's creators, showing some Gennies and Bombardier coaches. Hopefully it won't be too long until they're available for purchase. Perhaps the presence of diesel equipment will bring about an upgrade to the route, to include the two non-electrified branches. As long as they have M8s simulated, you'd think it would be relatively easy to take some parts away, change the reds to blues, and have M7s ready to go. Maybe I'm being too optimistic in hoping that more variety in equipment could lead to expanding the route pack to include the Hudson and Harlem Lines... but even if not, it would be a touch more realistic just to see some M7s on the "shared" part of the line south of Woodlawn Junction. It's kind of odd to be driving an M8 and seeing absolutely nothing else on the other tracks but other M8s.

A few other minor inaccuracies (like Rye's station signs having blue stripes across the top, rather than red) but considering the TS2014 folks are in the UK, I'll let that slide. It's just nice to see more Metro North (and NEC) trackage simulated and I hope they keep adding more. Having grown up near the Hudson Line, that's the one I've always wanted to see the most. The line I'm "second" most familar with would be the upper Harlem. I've never had a chance to ride the New Haven for real, so it's been neat to see it virtually.
 #1281433  by LIRRMEDFORD

They released the P32AC-DM yesterday. Its not that bad as far as operation. They kept the acceleration realistic and the graphics detail is very good. The one thing I'm not sure about is the sound. I don't ride MNCR enough to know if its accurate but the few times I have, I could of sworn there was more of a base sound from the wheels and carriage when moving. Anyone else grab it?
 #1281905  by Fan Railer

LIRRMEDFORD wrote:They released the P32AC-DM yesterday. Its not that bad as far as operation. They kept the acceleration realistic and the graphics detail is very good. The one thing I'm not sure about is the sound. I don't ride MNCR enough to know if its accurate but the few times I have, I could of sworn there was more of a base sound from the wheels and carriage when moving. Anyone else grab it?
This dlc is a bit better than the stuff that usually gets released. It's a relatively balanced mix of new content and recycled content. Previously released dlc leaned more on recycled content with new exteriors.
 #1285073  by pnaw10

I finally tried the P32AC-DM last night for a bit. I didn't have much time, so I only did the two tutorials (one for running via the head-end cab, and one for running the loco itself).

LIRR, you're right, the locomotive didn't seem as loud or "bassy" in the game as it does in real life.

The sounds in the cab seemed realistic, at least from the perspective of a railfan, standing behind the closed cab door on trains where the "railfan window" wasn't covered up by old newspapers. Heck, even if you can't see through the door, you can usually hear the air, the speed restriction alarm, etc. through the door from the first few rows.

And granted, I didn't play for very long... but when I switched cameras to be on the platform when the doors opened... I thought I noticed the doors beeping upon opening, rather than when they were closing.

All in all, though, a great addition to what they already had with the M8s. Would love to see the occasional Genny in NH livery (as Trainz Classics did, although their version seemed to lack the proper font). The MNR livery and the overall modeling are excellent -- I had a screenshot side-by-side with a photo of the real thing. Full-size, sure, you can tell the difference, but at thumbnail size, they are very comparable. Kudos to the crew. I'm really hoping the show of support for this route and the P32AC-DM will help convince them to add the Hudson and/or Harlem Lines.

I'd honestly prefer the Hudson, as it's the only line that hasn't been professionally simulated yet (Trainz did part of the Harlem)... not to mention, it might be more interesting from the standpoint that you could run Amtrak and freight in addition to MNR. And the game's creators could even go so far as to further monetize the effort by selling Amtrak Turboliners and/or MNR SPV-2000s for those who want to "timewarp" back to the 80s. It would even be cool to have them mock up the Beacon Line... seems that many people on the MNR forum here would love to see trains on that line again (revenue or not), and I bet they'd spend $$$ to see it happen "virtually," since the chances of it happening in real life are nil.
 #1291549  by pnaw10

LIRRMEDFORD wrote:SPV and Turboliners would be a fun addition If they threw in the idea of the hudson, If only I knew how to make scenarios with mass AI movement, I would be in heaven with that equipment...
Agreed. Would be lots of fun but I barely have time just to play what's already there, let alone sit there trying to learn how to create new maps and scenarios.

Looks like the NY to NH Line has been announced as one of the lines to be included when TS2015 is released. Assuming there are good sales of TS2015, perhaps this will increase the chances we could see an official release of the Hudson Line as a DLC add-on.

I would imagine the Hudson Line may be a challenge only because the line parallels the river so often, affording views much farther from the tracks than lines which are bordered by trees or buildings. There's also the matter of simulating the Tappan Zee, Bear Mountain, Newburgh-Beacon, Mid-Hudson and Walkway Over the Hudson bridges.

But considering these people went so far as to add details like the huge bat outside of Yankee Stadium, and the new stadium itself -- things you can't see from the train, but would need to break-out to "free camera" mode to see -- they hopefully are up to the task of giving the Hudson Line a shot. In addition to MNR and Amtrak, there's possibilities for freight operations too.