Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Tycoon

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#373  by rvrrhs

We need a separate forum for Railroad Tycoon!

Also, RT fans: has anyone created a good RT map of New Jersey and/or NYC metro area?

#3211  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I have RTII is III any better?

#3225  by FatNoah

Unfortunately the answer to that question is that it depends. The game is a bit different than Railroad Tycoon II. For more information, you should check out the official Railroad Tycoon III forums.

#3279  by Justin B

AMEN!!!

We do nead an RT forum! I'm still dinking around with RTII. Can anyone vouch for RTIII?

#3382  by FatNoah

I really liked Railroad Tycoon 3. There are people who loved 2, that love 3 and there are many that really don't like it.

The 3d graphics are pretty cool and I spend lots of time just watching my trains. You still have the challenge of laying rails, placing stations, etc. In 3, you can also buy and BUILD industries, which is very cool. I've won some of the scenarios without buiding any track...just through building and buying industries.

The biggest differences are that micromanagement of cargos is no longer necessary and that cargo will move with or without your trains. Often, the best place for a depot or station isn't directly at the source of the goods, but in the path of the flow of goods....such as at the confluence of rivers, etc. That means that you generally have fewer branches and spurs to specific resource points.

The feature that most people love/hate the most is the removal of the need to micromanage cargo. The game will determine the most valuable cargo to carry to the next station automatically. You can still define which cars to carry, but it's harder to depot cargo or to build the familiar unit trains.

#3657  by rvrrhs

Unfortunately, I will be unable to vouch for RTIII for quite some time.....I am a devout Macintosh user since the early 1980s, and PopTop is not very proactive in getting its games ported to the Mac. I just hope someone like MacSoft, who ported PopTop's Tropico to the Mac, gets the ball rolling.

#4664  by joshuahouse

If you go to their website you can download the demo, which should give you a pretty good idea of the program. I havn't actually bought it my self, but I may at some point in the future. Its enjoyable, but I have other expences right now, like needing a car, college, perhaps buying a laptop etc.

#14013  by engineshop

I downloaded RTIII but only played about 15 minutes before I decided not to buy the game. Maybe in two years when I find the deluxe version in the $9.99 bin, I will change my mind. What happend to the game I played for weeks, sometimes without eating for days, in the mid 90s.

#17077  by Chriss

Just a couple of days ago I tried the RRT3 demo. Result? I reinstalled the original, and have been playing it ever since.

One of Sid's greatest games, for sure.

#17080  by Justin B

I have been playing RRTII for years now, and it is one of my all time favorites, but there are some problems that I think should be addressed.

No tunnels
Time elapsed way too fast
Limited choice of diesels (No Uboats or 40-2s!!)
Unrealistic locomotive properties (The SDP40 was LESS reliable and used MORE fuel than the SD45)
Hard to create real competition with the AI
Only 1 locomotive/6 cars per train
Can't rebuild locomotives

If some of those problems were addressed then I feel the game would closely mimic the running of a real railroad.

I have not played RRTIII, so what are the improvements?

#21212  by TAMR213

I was trying to create a map for RRII, though I never really succeded. Ended up just moding the NE map to include NJ. Maybe I'll try to create another NJ map...

#53872  by crazy_nip

I downloaded RT3 and did not like it at all

the graphics are good, but it just is not as enjoyable as RT2

its just not

they should have just worked on gameplay and AI issues of RT2, fixed some of the NUMEROUS bugs and released an updated version (RT2.5?)

there are some things that I do like about RT3 (laying track is easier) but for the most part, I am glad I did not spend a dime on it

#112879  by Allaboard

I have a different question about Railroad Tycoon. I have recently downloaded Railroad Tycoon Deluxe from Home of the Underdogs. The game downloaded, extracted and installed correctly, but when I started the game a newspaper came up stating that I started a new railroad company and 100,000 shares have been issued to the public investors, but it wouldn't close or let me contiue the game. What's that all about and how do I fix it?

#119269  by rvrrhs

TAMR213 wrote:I was trying to create a map for RRII, though I never really succeded. Ended up just moding the NE map to include NJ. Maybe I'll try to create another NJ map...
Erik,

Have you had any success with that NJ map? I've tried doing one, but the darn thing keeps crashing.

Any idea how you could send me your RTII maps?

#120585  by stevo

wait....you can get new maps for RT2? that's awesome!! i din't know that!! where can you get them?