Railroad Forums 

• N&W and WM

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #1020614  by CPF363

Is there any reason that N&W did not pursue a purchase of the Western Maryland? How come N&W did not fight WM's merger with C&O/B&O issuing a bid for it themselves? It seems as a logical purchase for the N&W effectively extending the P&WV subsidiary to Baltimore.
 #1307874  by v8interceptor

The merger that created Chessie System was a direct result of abortive merger talks(starting in 1965) between N&W and C&O. Had they merged the resulting system would have also included B&O and WM.
The PC bankruptcy sent shock waves through the industry in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic and the Chessie/N&W proposal died shortly thereafter. IIRC, N&W was perhaps the most solvent railroad in the region at that time and I doubt they would have much desire in the early 1970's Pre-Conrail atmosphere of unease to get into a fight with Chessie and the same regulators trying to figure out how to salvage PC.
I do wonder if the also stillborn "Mid Atlantic Rail-Erie Lackawanna Rail Corporation" merger (basically all the non PC components of Conrail except the Ann Arbor) proposed as a counterweight to Conrail might have included the Western Maryland (and perhaps the D&H and B&M)?
 #1325472  by mmi16

As I recall B&O owned 51% of WM before the C&O entered the picture.
 #1429077  by Chessie77

The C&O was originally going after the NYC but went with the B&O as it was in better shape. The B&O controlled the WM, RDG and through the RDG it controlled the CNJ. After the PRR and NYC started merger talks that lead to the formation of the PC, the N&W started merger talks with the C&O to counter it. The merged railroad would have kept the name N&W. The following railroads were to be included in the merged system: N&W, NKP, WAB, P&WV, AC&Y, C&O, B&O, WM, RDG, CNJ, EL, B&M and D&H. (IIRC) These plans were started in 1965 and got tentative ICC approval but died when PC went bankrupt in 1970. I hope this helps.