Railroad Forums 

• Nickel Plate Railroad

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #974597  by terry03

In 1915 the Nickel Plate Railroad built a bridge over the Illinois Central at Grande Crossing in Chicago near E. 75th Street. It was built next to the NYC & PRR which also crossed the IC. The NYC & PRR bridge was built in 1911. This was part of the Illinois Centrals elimination of all grade crossings in the Chicago area.

My question is. Do you know who built the Nickel Plate Bridge? Bates & Rogers Construction Corporation out of Chicago built almost all of the IC at grade crossings in the Chicago area and suburbs for 50 miles. It makes sense that they probably built the Nickel RR bridge also. Its possible that the IC paid for the construction of this bridge. I doubt it though.

My interest is due to the fact that five generations of my family worked for Bates & Rogers and my grandfather was working for them in this time period.