Railroad Forums 

• Accurate N&W (and VGN) HO scale freight car models?

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #761829  by Vakharn

I'm curious if anyone knows much about which of the available HO scale late steam era freight car models for the N&W and Virginian are actually accurate representations of their prototype. Plastic kits, and RTR plastic are generally what I'm looking for but craftsman kits will do as well when nothing else decently accurate is available. I'm trying to put together a collection of N&W and Virginian freight cars and I need to know what to shop for. I already know some items (IE: the bowser fishbelly hoppers, the BLI H2a hoppers, the Funaro & Camerlengo battleship gons) but I'm having a hard time finding much information on the accuracy of other models on the market, and while the NWHS archives make a great source for comparison photos and the like, I was hoping some of you might already know this information, so I could avoid spending many hours comparing NWHS archive photos to model photos (which are often too low res to get a good feel for details anyway).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Aaron